• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1010, First Road Trip

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So this past weekend my 2 young sons and I took off on a 210 mile trip to a rally in central FL. My new to me M1010 hasn't left town since I've had it (about a month). Prior to leaving it had a little surging problem off idle. I almost cancelled the trip but after some prayerful considerations and 100 mile towing from AAA we set off. Despite the surging she ran up to speed very well. We were towing the M101A3 with my Clubcar II in the back. ran between 58 and 61 MPH comfortably. Within 30 miles I could smell oil burning. Stopped at the first turnpike plaza and confirmed that it had a pretty decent oil leak. Couldn't see the source but it seemed to be high at the back of the engine. Topped it off and up the road we surged (pun intended). Fueled up at the next plaza and topped off the oil again and surged away. Made one more stop when we neared the exit on the turnpike and topped off the oil for the last time. We pulled in just after 9PM after using 1 1 /2 gallons of oil. I parked the truck, readied the bunks and was treated to a nice prime rib dinner.

While pulling into the property I got to thinking about the leak and my past experiences and instantly I guessed that it was the vac pump. Removed it the next day and confirmed what I thought. A call to NAPA and I would have one the next morning. I forgot the truck issues and sat back and enjoyed the rest of the day and the pulled pork dinner.

The weather was in the mid 40s at night Thursday and Friday night. The boys and I found that even the lowest setting on the big buddy heater was too much for the ambulance. I had to turn it on and off through the night to keep it from getting too hot. My 11 yr old stayed in the top berth and it was much warmer there. I now have a small ceiling fan to move the heat around. Saturday night got down into the lower 30s and I could finally leave the heater on low. The 11 yr old still slept on top of the bag.

Saturday AM, off to NAPA to get the vac pump. After returning I won the bet that I could install it in 5 minutes, it took 2 1/2. Spent the next 3 hours diagnosing, confirming and tracking down an air leak. When it was all done we isolated the problem to be at the sending unit or the hoses attached. As a field expedient we removed the cap off the aux pickup and piped that into known good lines. All leaks went away and she ran smooth.

Sunday afternoon we departed for our 210 mile ride home. We departed at 1312 hours and headed out to the turnpike. Fueled up right before the pay road and headed south. A few minutes after reaching speed we crested and overpass and all of a sudden we had an overspeed rev. Shut it down and coasted to a stop. No go! Crud. Dropped it into low range and she drove fine. Moved down the road a bit and tried high again and she took right off. Looks like it popped out of gear. On two other down hill decelerations it popped out and a stop, shift to low and back and it got us home. Figuring its either a mal adjusted shifter, worn fork pads or a bad shift fork. Will work on that soon.

All in all I couldn't be happier with the ambulance. It's a great camper and fun to drive. Tows the trailer with no problem and did pretty well on fuel. I'd like to share pics but I don't have any, just a progress report and a happy camper.

MilChevyguy

THAT is the reason why you go on a road trip...who cares WHERE you go but if you don't have an adventure to remember...u didn't go anywhere memorable!!!

Recovry4x4...great account of your trip..many more and enjoy the time with the boys, I'm sure they are growing too fast for your liking!!!!

jw4x4

No pics needed for this story. While reading it, the video was playing in my head. Glad to hear the mobile man cave is off and running. Many more journeys ahead.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did find this one pic with the wagon in the background behind these 4 homeless children. Everytime we cooked the driver and the one in the back came around.

IMG_20130303_103722.jpg

Stump Jumper

Vivid. And enjoyable, Recovery4x4. I, too, had a terrific movie going in my head as I read your story. Thanks for sharing this, as I hope to be making a trip down the East Coast and back about this time in 2014 in an M1010 if all goes well (we have family in Florida too). Maybe I'll schedule a picture with the M1010's side by side. :)

Stump Jumper

Stump Jumper

waaaaait a minute... look real close at their eyes....

I did find this one pic with the wagon in the background behind these 4 homeless children. Everytime we cooked the driver and the one in the back came around.

View attachment 414160
They're weren't homeless, Recovery... look closer. They got the fever! They got the green fever. I think you were conned into thinking it was the cookin.
:)

You've been played, Recovery, by a gang of future steelsoldier wrenches. (btw) did they help you beat the 5min bet? hehe.

Stump Jumper

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The driver was pretty resourceful at the site. The one in the back was of no help, nothing needed breaking.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks