• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1010 Fuel Issues

SounDrive

After sitting for 2-3 years I've been given permission to use the m1010 sitting in the parking lot for an audio build. I got it to start today with some starting fluid (pulse sprayed some in while someone else was cranking it, don't worry). There was a good amount of smoke when it started but it cleared up shortly and ran great - but dies when you let off the throttle.

I'm assuming this is a fuel issue since it runs fine with the throttle depressed but dies at idle. Fuel pump was our first assumption but if there are any common (and cheaper) things that go wrong with these trucks I'd like to try that first. My next move was going to be to put some fresh fuel in it and change the fuel and air filters.

And if it makes any difference, my dad said the last time the truck was running it quit running out of nowhere and wouldn't start back (died while it was on).

loosescrews

Ive seen em suck air through the fuel filter and cause all kinds of havoc. Could be a plethora of things though. Id run the troubleshooting on it and start simple.

SounDrive

I'm probably doing a screw on fuel filter swap and maybe an electric fuel pump... any other mods I should do while I'm replacing things that are likely bad?

Skinny

If they haven't been addressed, you probably should start back at the tank and replace all of the rubber line. Work your way forward and if the box filter is questionable replace it with a spin on. I would also spend $30 and put a genuine AC Delco mechanical pump on the block. Remember these things are 30 years old.

SounDrive

Is there any disadvantage to using the Stanadyne lift pump that installs on the top of the FM100 filter rather than an external electric lift pump? I hadn't seen that mentioned anywhere but I've seen plenty of people use the FM100 and a different pump

SounDrive

Ok I have a few upgrades planned now...

ACDelco 60g glow plugs with manual switch
Spools of 3/8" and 1/4" fuel line to replace all the 30 year old lines
Airtex Electric Fuel pump
Spin on fuel filter conversion with 2 micron filter
K&N Air filter
Doghead relay

Not all are directly related to this issue but they're all well overdue maintenance items

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have some of the Stanadyne FM100 filters with the electric fuel pump if your interested. PM if so, so we don't break any rules.