• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1010 in Indiana

Cory1337

Howdy! Just thought I'd post a picture of my not so recent acquisition. Below is the only picture I have currently.

85M1010.jpg

I have always admired CUCVs from afar. Recently I started my 1/3 life crisis and decided I wanted something that was the same age as me. So when I started looking for 80s era vehicles I wanted to own, I stumbled across CUCVs and instantly fell in love.

I am 2 hours from home through the week, so I haven't done much to her. Previous owner had replaced the glow plugs(maybe the card? It looks like a new one). I have not had time to see if I need to fix the starter relay, but that's top of the list to check. I have a spin on fuel filter base to install as soon as it gets warm, factory one weeps fuel and is letting air into the fuel system. Once I get her starting easy I plan to:

Ditch M1010 24V system and switch to dual 12volt alts
Ditch glow plug resistor pack
Ditch the AC Compressor and Condenser on box (free to a good home)

After that I plan to drive her for a while and see what breaks or squeals the loudest to get fixed next. Long term goal is to fix her up to be reliable and FUN!

My family/friends are in two camps. Camp A thinks it's AWESOME and can't wait to see it out on the road, camp B think I'm crazy and shouldn't have ever bought it. My nephew was camp b, until I let him drive it around the field, then he was converted to Camp A.

I love telling people that it's the same age as me, I don't blame it a bit for not being perfect.

Cory1337

UPDATE! Finally found time to install the spin on filter. Working from home and warm weather, perfect timing. Went with a Stanadyne FM100, added the primer pump and settling bowl. Next up, going to look under the dash to see if I need to replace the relay. Need to get alternators ordered, dragged my feet all winter, but now that I have time I wish I hadn't.. First drive in 5 months, it was nice to get her out on the road.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Do not let your favorite ride sit to long.[thumbzup] At least once a month start your truck to keep the seals lubed in the engine and trans. The power steering as well will benefit.

Plus keeping the batteries at full charge has benefits as well.

Have fun with the truck and keep the Family involved as well. :rules:

Cory1337

For the last 3 weeks or so I've been cleaning up the wiring mess the previous owners left me. Lots of cut wires and extra splices. They bypassed the black out lights and added battery shut offs. Which I like, but would also like to have the black out lights intact. I got the main harness plugged together and start her up. As soon as she is started I can smell something burning. I can see magic white smoke coming from the glow plug card box. Pull it out to find this.
20200801_112419.jpg

Magic white smoke....yay.

I'm in the middle of moving from Indiana to Arizona so I installed a push button for the glow plugs.
20200801_141935.jpg

I hope to be able to ship the truck out soon. I am trying to get her back running before I leave so my dad can drive it once in a while.

Any ideas what might cause that diode(?) To burn? Is it a sign of something else or just time for a new card?

Figure I have a few months to research it. On the plus side the truck starts right up after sitting 3 weeks. Glad all the other systems are happy. I'm thinking after I fix this it'll be time for the injection pump or breaks to need attention. At least so far everyone has been waiting their turn.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks