• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1010 Lift Ideas?

vinny-socom1

Ok so I acquired a new project truck last night, sorry no pics yet and Yes its a M1010. I was wondering about lift ideas since I lifted the wifes M1009 with 37" I like the look and performance and want/plan to do the same with the M1010.

Questions:

Is there any difference in the rear springs from a m1008 vs m1010. Do I really need the overload spring set up?

Can I use a normal lift spring for the rear? or should I do a shackle flip and zero rate to move the axle back.

If there is anything I'm missing please pipe up!

If anybody has photos I would love to see a M1010 lifted!

Vinny

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pics dammit. Hope it wasn't the one I was trying to close on (or parts from it).
If you pitch the overloads I could use them on my Oh8

Last edited:

vinny-socom1

Nope Kenny still have the other deal going on the M1010 parts truck. If I do pitch the overloads you are welcome to them.
As soon as it stops raining today I'll grab a couple of photos!
Vinny

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1010 lifted

My 1010 was purchased already sitting on a 4" lift from Warn.

I am told the original 'front' springs were removed and replaced with new 4" lift front springs. The rear springs remained and spacers added to get the height. I was told by the previous owner that he paid about $1,600.00 for the kit.

We were really surprised the height didn't cause more body roll issues but the 1010 feels fairly stable on side slopes.

A couple un-edited vids taking the 1010 for a stretch
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX8xgDKewCc[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCJyyjn0wAI&feature=relmfu[/media]

With 35's on the tire touches the inside fender under extreme twist but not more then just a touch.

I'm contemplating adding another inch on the back to bring the 'rake' up and have the truck riding flat or slightly nose down.

Here's a couple of lift links
ORD Complete 4x4 Lift Systems & Kits - GM Chevy Leaf Springs
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/58402-cucv-lift-kits.html

Attachments

vinny-socom1

NICE! I was wondering the same about body roll, thinking of running a dually rear axle with 37's to keep it stable. I think it would work but I'll have to fab up a small fender lip for wheel coverage.

Just a thought.

Vinny

vinny-socom1

Heres a couple of photos of the new project, I have not done anything great yet due to the wiring issue thats wearing me out. Short of it is the truck was converted to 12v by UF maintaince shop and was not done correctly so now I'm having to chase wires and fix as I go. I've removed the duvac stuff and I'm working on ideas for the suspension lift & sleeping arrangements in the back.

My end goal is to have a Adventure/Expedition/Off road style camper. First plan of attack is to lift the truck and run a dually rear with 37" tires and 12 bolt h1 wheels up front with a dually hubs. I'll probably rebuild the lower side panels on the Ambulance box to match the new wheel width.

As for all of my builds it will be sloooow.. money is always tight so I work on it when I can.

My goal is to have it lifted by the February Rally.

Vinny

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck looks worthy of saving. How did they go about converting it? Are the alts still Leece Neville 24V? Weird.

vinny-socom1

upper was a 12v lower was a 24v.......YES there was about 6 wires going back & forth from different post, alt, relays and such.... A REAL MESS!

I removed the lower 24v alt, rewired the upper alt & rewired the relay leads & such.

The trucks in rear good shape, only rust was in the front battery tray & wheel well liner below tray. Looks to only be 15,000 miles, seats are in great shape dash was wasted but everything else was really nice.

I wish it wasn't white but thats another to do on the long list.

Vinny

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, sounds like the VFD butchers got to it. Oh well. Clean slate in the back. I think it could be really cool back there. Might be interested in that alt you took off if you get rid of it. I'm diggin it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking good Vinny. Are you going to put flares to cover the tires? Even with a cab/chassis rear axle I'll bet the tire stick out.

MaineMonsterM1010

Hi. So I ended up buying Vinny's M1010 from a guy who bought it from Vinny. I was super psyched to see this thread and see pics of it before it got to us. We have swapped out the Hummer wheels for 17" Pro-comp wheels and tires, put in a new flexplate, starter, batteries, 2010 Chevy Duramax fuel filter, cleaned up the wiring a bit, changed belts, glow plugs, built the back into a camper, and painted it. Still to do: Add a second 20 gal fuel tank, put in a side window, build/weld a swing out spare tire carrier, upgrade the shocks, and next week it is getting the front Dana 60 rebuilt. Here are some pics.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the big wheel look and miss my 1010 adventures. Your truck looks like an M1010 should look after service. Never sell it and get a deuce to keep it company or you'll write sad stories. Your truck has a Great story from start to finish, thanks for updating.

IMG_1905.jpg

We put this one back to parade status rims and rubber to acknowledge the purists. Your truck looks just as original......only more truckierer. Nice work!

P5070100.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks