• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1010 questions????

nccucv

well i am in the process of buying a m1008. i was going to look into gl ,but this guy has a m1010 that was converted into a pickup. here are some pics i can get it for $3000...i know other than the cab everything is the same, but are there any other differences? does the 1010 have the stronger suspension found on the 1028? good deal? or should i continue in the gl route? thanks

he said it was all stock except 37" hummer tires? idk how he fit them...i think with a little paint it'll be good, no rust..i'm really anxious to see the fab work on the rear window close up..
15k mi

Attachments

nccucv

well,i am planning to put a flatbed on it so the rear i will be able to go to 38" and the front idk yet. it depends how the back of the cab looks (ie fab work with window and closing the opening)if its ok maybe just do some more trimming...if it looks like hell i could always get a new m1008 cab..i'd imagine they are around...i mean $3000 seems fair to you right? 15,000 miles everything is in good running condition..

nccucv

well i went to see the truck today and it runs well needs brake adjustment, allignment, and definately a paintjob, but all in all for the year i've seen worse..$3000 i wonder if i'm better off getting one used from gl for around 1000 then put another 1000 into it....?? also it has been converted to a pickup and it still has all the stock vent and ac compressor installed...i suppose i could just remove it.....i must say i wish i brought my camera to take pics of the metal work....what they diid was chop the back off a 1008 cab and welded it to the front of the 1010 cab...seamless couldn't even tell where after i was told...so i'm done thinking out loud ...what do you guys think??

acetomatoco

Electrical problems on M1010 have burned many an owner financially... Does it still have the two Leece Neville alternators and the famous flaming blue box on the left front fender well... Best to put the Delco Remys on from a Blazer. How did they handle cutting the harness to the rear?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder where you saw a CUCV pickup bringing $1000 that was worth anything. I follow GL almost religiously and I have not seen any trucks worth a damn coming out for $1K. I say go for the truck you found...unless you want the "excitement" of the unknown. There is something to be said for the excitement factor, but I'd prefer to go with a known quantity. If the guy wanted $5K for his truck, then you are better off going the auction route unless the truck was either cherry or a bit more rare (M1028, M1031).

nccucv

yeah i hear ya....the main thing for me is if i want a pickup or flatbed in the long run why not start with an m1008 or m1028, it also bothers me a little with all the extra vents and coponents that were originally for the ambulance. what to do what to do.....i'm going to look at what another guy has today..we'll see

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NCCUCV, I am not sure what advice I can give. It sounds like you are not going to keep your truck stock. If that is true, then owning an M1010 that was converted into a pickup would be no big deal. At that point, the only two factors that would concern me would be running condition and price. It sounds as it both of those things are acceptable. If the truck has its stock M1010 charging system, I have found them to be finnicky (e.g., they don't always charge correctly). Some people have come up with fixes for this problem (talk to CUCVFAN). On the bright side, you will have some of the components to put A/C into your truck.

Good luck with whatever you decide. John Winslow (252-883-2509) in NC has parts for these trucks.

nccucv

acetomatoco said:
Electrical problems on M1010 have burned many an owner financially... Does it still have the two Leece Neville alternators and the famous flaming blue box on the left front fender well... Best to put the Delco Remys on from a Blazer. How did they handle cutting the harness to the rear?
yes it still has the alts ...they just cut and capped the existing ac so pretty much everything is there just nowhere to go....

BKubu thanks for the number i'll give him a call...i think i have already talked myself out of the 1010...(main reason is i just found out he has paperwork for two trucks and it'll be up to me to apply for a single title...seems like a headache) i'll just keep my eyes and ears open for a pickup ...

nccucv

well, how easy would it be to rip out all existing 1010 related wiring and components? what about the compressor, can i get rid of it? basically is the engine the same 6.2 thats in a 1008 or is it modified for the different accessories? how easy is it to find a replacement 1008 cab? cost? anything i'm missing?

nccucv

AJMBLAZER said:
Same engine. Just accessories would be different.
ok, well it runs strong and it only has 15000 miles so what the hell...i'll post pictures of under the hood and the electrical and i'll try and figure out what can go...also where's the best place to get 12bolt humvees w/ 37/38" tires ? how much for a set of 5 complete?

oh by the way the reason i changed my mind was i just saw an m1008 go on gl for $2800+fees that was beat to crap and had 67000 miles it started with a jump.

then (going back to the M1010 now) after i told the guy no, he called me this morning and lowered the price to $2000, so its kinda a no-brainer now...