• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1010 Receiver Hitch

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Folks, I have an M1010 trade in the works. As many know, they are not rated to tow and have no hitch. I'm curious to know what 1010 folks would think about sinking a receiver in the crossmember that the shackles are mounted on. It needs to be recessed to the point that I need to put the pin in from the back. If not I don't think the steps would clear. Opinions and pics of it done would be appreciated. Probably the most I would tow with it would be the M101A3 with the golfcart or the pioneer tool trailer.

Thanks In Advance!

lavarok

Kenny,

I had thought about using a bumper hitch bolted to the bottom of the cross member under the steps. This would give you clearance and is a pretty solid piece of metal to attach to.

Pic attached.

Attachments

Last edited:

Keith_J

They were never intended to tow trailers, kind of a single trick pony. But it still is a K30 chassis, the same as a 1008.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1010 Hitch

Had the local welder put one together and he went below the crossmember which works well with our 21" tongue height. Put some pics up because it's always nice to hear some critical feedback and share the love. Welding to the frame???

Steps work with the hitch out. Pulled a couple of empty trailers and with the trailer brakes set up right and a patient foot off the line, the 1010 was great.

Fortunately I saw the SS light and my 1010 will not be a pulling truck.

Attachments

Red_506

A buddy of mine hooked up a hitch on his M1010, it is the type that bolts to the frame rails. I thought he posted it here but cannot find it. I know he's able to still use the stairs, but I do think it causes a slight issue with the spare tire. I'll see if I can get him to post up today.

lavarok

My 1010 has the hitch you describe. I pull a loaded M101A2 with no problems. I do need to remove the hitch to use the steps.
I never made it past pre planning stages when I thought about doing this myself. Can you take some pics from the underside showing how its attached under the cross member?

Thanks!

Duck Bar

I found a bolt to the frame class 5 setup from DrawTight , part number 41938, that will fit the 1008, 1028 CUCV with almost no modifications. With the bolt-to-frame setup it is rated at 12,000 lbs tow weight. I just ordered it from the local Trailer Depot and it will arrive on Monday...I will post some photos after I install it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nomeranger7

Duck Bar...did you ever install the class 5 Draw Tight hitch you mentioned above? Did it fit as promised? I am curious as I have been looking at lots of threads here about the different solutions folks have come up with to install a hitch on their M1008/1010 and still retain the rear shackles and pintal on the rear bumper set up. Photos would be appreciated. Thanks!