• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1010

2002ford

I have to pick up a m1010 this tuesday. Anyone know if it weighs to much for a common car trailer. I know I pushed my luck with the USS Minnow but I think the m1010 is heavier. Anyone have a thought on this?

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sure the weight of a M1010 is listed on here somewhere.
I'm sure the trailer has a listed capacity, somewhere.

If the trailer GVWR is 10,000 lbs you should be ok.
If it is a 7,000 gvwr, you'll likey be overweight.
I.E. My 7,000 trailer weighs 1800 lbs so it's cargo capacity is 5200 lbs

Edit:
yep the weight of a M1010 is on here, 7370lbs

Last edited:

2002ford

I have trailer brakes. The thing about my trailer is I have no info....... I have looked around on it but I cant find a tag with any info. Its a 500 mile drive home. Do you think a tow dolly would be a better choice. I could just drop the drive shaft and pull it. I have to make this trip solo so I cant afford any mistakes. Thanks.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have trailer brakes. The thing about my trailer is I have no info....... I have looked around on it but I cant find a tag with any info. Its a 500 mile drive home. Do you think a tow dolly would be a better choice. I could just drop the drive shaft and pull it. I have to make this trip solo so I cant afford any mistakes. Thanks.

Single or dual axle, what size tires? Have a photo? Trailer with brakes is better than the tow dolly.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No advantage to a tow dolly in my opinion. Doubt that you would find one up to the weight of the truck. If you go dolly you may as well go towbar. I think the trailer is safest and you can always up grade to a larger E rated tire. Tires will likely be your limiting factor. Does the trailer have 5 or 6 lug axles? 6 lug are likely to be 5200# axles where the 5 luggers closer to 3500# axles. Again I think tires are the big issue and the brakes are very handy dealing with 7300#.

greg6459

Find a CUCV towbar, put the transfer case in "N" and flat toe it.
Unless you have a medium duty truck, this is the safest way.
I flat towed a 1009 with my 1028 while I had an S-250 shelter on the back over 150 miles with no trouble.
This is the way to go!

Good luck.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Find a CUCV towbar, put the transfer case in "N" and flat toe it.
Unless you have a medium duty truck, this is the safest way.
I flat towed a 1009 with my 1028 while I had an S-250 shelter on the back over 150 miles with no trouble.
This is the way to go!

Good luck.
I disagree. A properly rated trailer with brakes is the safest way to go. You have no brakes with a tow bar.
An M1028 with a shelter far outweighs an M1009.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whoa!
To flat tow you would really need a truck heavier than the 7370lb M1010.

Dolly idea, they don't make a dolly strong enough for that.

Like Kenny said, tires. 10,000lbs / 4 tires is 2500lb per tire

2002ford

I will look tonight on the amount of lugs. It is duel axle though. My ford can take the weight no problem just I would hate to burn up a trailer axle. I always carry a spare trailer tires. Thanks everyone.

muddobber40

That M1010 has rotted tires on it. It also has 4 tires, 3 with wheels, in the back. 2 are deuce wheels, 1 is for a 5 ton. THe other tire, not sure, but all together thats extra weight as well. 5 lug axles could be 3500 or 5000 lb axles. 6 lug could be 5000 or 5200. Brake drum diameter will give some idea too. You can google the dims and get close. What rating are your tires? You're not at risk as much of burning up bearings as you are tweaking your axle.

Last edited:

41cl8m5

I agree with using a truck that is heavier to do the towing. I flat towed a M1010 from Austin TX to Denver CO using a Med Tow Bar. I disconnected the driveshaft and unlocked the steering with the transfer case in N. With that box on the back of the M1010 I was having a heck of a time with the big rigs passing me with the air pulling me around. My tow rig is a 2008 3500 mega. After about 15 miles I pulled over and lengthened the bar out. Doing that helped with the pulling or pushing of the wheel. In Kansas the wind got so bad I had to stop until the next day. That big box is one heck of a wind sail.
Wether towing flat or on a trailer I would think this issue I had would be the same. My recommendation is to give plenty of room to the side when passing or being passed. Stay safe and alive, Good Luck.

2002ford

I heard it had a few extras in the back of it. Have you seen the truck? I hope its not a Pile of dodo. I am stuck at work so I cant check any info until I get home.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have to bring all that crap back, move it to the back of your truck. If I'm doing a long haul, I try to move as much stuff to the towed vehicle as I can. With deuces I remove the rear duals, spare and batteries to the towing vehicle. It's going to be a bit of a sail for sure. I would even go as far as to dump the air from the tires on the meatwagon before tying it down and headed out. Anything that helps is worth doing and since the tires are being reported as bad, why not.

muddobber40

I did go look at it. THe interior is decent. Under the hood looked clean. I didn't look too close at the wiring to see if they hacked it at all though. There was some rust in the cab corners. I dont remember much else to be honest. THe rust did it for me. Thats how the other white one and red one with white stripe, but they were worse. Nothing like Ohio though. I worked up at Davis-Besse for a little while last year after taking a forced hiatus from my business. You didnt get hurt by any means. I got the yellow one and the red M1028 with 15K miles :D. The M1028 is one of the cleanest I have had in a long time.

muddobber40

Oh and unless John and Stan are in a really, really good mood, you will have to take everything in the truck. I would do as Recovery4x4 stated though, move the extras to your truck.

2002ford

I will do that. I am glad its not a basket case. Cab corners shouldnt be to hard to do if I dont have to remove the box. I have made up my mind and will use the trailer. If you dont hear back from me wensday night I might be Gimped. HeHe.

2002ford

I head out at 0600 tommorow to get this. I will post pics when I return wensday. I wont have any way to post anything until I get back. Thanks everyone.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just be safe on the road. Big trucks are going to toss you around a bit. Don't drive tired and you should be fine.

2002ford

I have made it home safe and sound. The 1010 pulled better than the minnow did but it is heavy. I averaged 16 mpg going down and way less coming back. Lol. Here is some pics. The extra tires that were in back need a new home. Any offers?

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks