• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101a1 Axle swap with electric brakes, retaining parking brakes

cberner

I am new to Steel Soldiers, as I just picked up a 1968 Case M101a1. I am fairly familiar with them from when I was in the Army during the 1990's, and I absolutely love how sturdy they are built and how useful they are. I am looking to increase the reliability and convenience factor by swapping the axle axle out with a modern (preferably 5,000lbs) axle with electric brakes and Chevy 6-lug wheel pattern, while retaining the parking brake capability. Looking to see if anyone on this forum has done this, and if so, if they can point me in the right direction with part numbers and/or vendors. If anyone knows of a company in the Pacific Northwest (around the Spokane area) that does this kind of work, even better!

Trailer has already been converted to 12 volt wiring with 7-pin connector.

Attachments

Last edited:

cberner

I have been replacing the screws that hold the wood rails to the metal stakes, as many of them were the improper ones anyway. I have about 24 of the original screws that are still good. If anyone needs these for your restoration, PM me. They are free to whoever needs them. Picture of screw attached.

20161103_161128_resized.jpg

pupmo

Which 3500lb axle are folks using on the M101A1's, the ones with 3" tubes or the standard 2 3/8" tubes?
Any special u-bolt kit if using the standard 2 3/8ths tubed 3500lb axle?

cberner

So I finally gathered all of the parts to do the axle swap. Today I started installing the new Dexter axle. I was able to get the old axle out with little difficulty. I cut the original shock mounter/u-bolt mount from the stock axle to be mounted on the new axle. I have everything mocked up and plan on welding the spring perches and shock mounts once the new wheels and tires get back from machine shop. Going to post the axle and old wheels tires in the classified section once I figure out how to use it!

20170223_123834.jpg 20170223_123815.jpg 20170223_120519.jpg 20170223_120459.jpg

I was able to get the Dexter brakes with the parking brake option (the guy at the supply store did not believe me that this was an option; he had to look it up). If anyone has any pointers on where to get replacement parking brake cables that work with the Dexter brakes, please let me know. Dexter doesn't seem to make a set long enough or with fittings that will work with the original hand brakes.

Last edited:

cberner

I just want to thank Steel Soldiers for the TM section; this has been a wealth of information (brings back a lot of PMCS memories also!). Made planning this axle swap a lot easier.

cberner

I ended up going with a 5200lb Dexter axle, as it had the 3" tubes. I cut the welds off the original u-bolt braces/shock mount and am going to weld it to the new axle (it fits perfectly). I had Six Robblees make the new u-bolts (I went with the 7 and 3/4 inch long ones, although the 6 and 3/4 inch long ones would have worked fine). I really wanted to retain the shocks on this trailer, as I plan of taking it off-road quite often.

McGuyver

Did you get a dexter axle that has electric brakes and CABLE operated parking brake?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

John Galt

I ended up going with a 5200lb Dexter axle, as it had the 3" tubes. I cut the welds off the original u-bolt braces/shock mount and am going to weld it to the new axle (it fits perfectly). I had Six Robblees make the new u-bolts (I went with the 7 and 3/4 inch long ones, although the 6 and 3/4 inch long ones would have worked fine). I really wanted to retain the shocks on this trailer, as I plan of taking it off-road quite often.
Is Six Robblees a member name here?

cberner

Do you have a part number for the dexter axle?
OK; sorry for the delayed response, have been busy. Here is the list of part numbers from Six Robblees:

5.2K Single Axle, 65" (#TS6065EZ)
Electric brake kit with parking brake (#K23-112-00)
Electric brake kit with parking brake (#K23-113-00)
They made the u-bolts for me on the spot; I just brought them one of the old ones for reference.

The invoice indicates that the part numbers above are Dexter part numbers. Please note that I needed the 65" axle due to the wheel backspacing I required (I am using factory Chevy Avalanche wheels on the trailer)

cberner

Did you get a dexter axle that has electric brakes and CABLE operated parking brake?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Yes, it has both the electric brake and the cable operated brake. I have not had the cables fabricated yet, but plan on that next week. I am wiring in the electric brakes this weekend.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks