• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A1 lug pattern conversion

56huck

I have a M101A1 trailer with the original military 5 on 6-1/2” split rim wheels. (Actually lock or safety Ring rims) mod edit
The tires are shot and I can’t find a local tire shop that will work withsplit rims. I understand there was a fatality recently, locally involving a tire replacement on a split rim wheel.
So it appears I need to change out the wheels in order to get tires. The 5-6-1/2” bolt patten is very uncommon, so used wheels seem unlikely and new wheels in this bolt pattern are very expensive.
ive seen bolt on lug pattern conversions on other wheels before. Similar to wheel spacers, but with a different lug pattern. Has anyone used these to convert an M101A1 wheel to a more common bolt pattern? If so, what bolt pattern did you convert it to?

Last edited by a moderator:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
There is an m100 trailer which is a little 1/4 ton trailer designed to go behind a jeep, I've never heard of an m100a1. It sounds like you may be talking about the m101a1, which is a 3/4 ton trailer designed to go behind a Dodge m37. This has 5 lug wheels (but definitely a larger than 5 on 4" pattern), a bed that's about 6x8 feet, and the lug nuts take a 1.5" lug wrench.

If that's what you got then running a 16" truck tire on the wheel isn't an issue, as long as you get the correct tube. An extra wheel isn't too difficult to find, even though they weren't used on many different trucks there are a lot out there still. The same wheel is used on Dodge m37s, as well as some of the older Dodge Power Wagon trucks. The best way to get tires done is to go to a real/old school tire place that does truck tires. Do not call them split rims, that's a totally different design that many shops won't touch for safety reasons. Call them lock rings wheels and if they still don't want to work on them they're not worth going to anyway.

As far as adapters to run a different wheel, as far as I know none exist that I would use. What you can do is order a complete new axle with electric brakes and a lug pattern that works for your needs.

just me

They are NOT SPLIT RIMS! (Unless you have combat wheels on it) They are SAFETY RING wheels. A real tire shop, truck shop or farm shop can do them for you. With care, you can do them yourself. That was the original intent of the design. To be able to change a tire anywhere. I do enough of them that I bought a cage for inflation. It isn't absolutely necessary, but saves time and paint jobs not having to chain up just in case. Just an FYI, my family has been doing these for over 70 years on the farms and trucks. We have NEVER had a single instance of the ring blowing off. Follow the proper procedure. Don't skimp. Don't use a damaged one because it isn't "too" damaged and a spare isn't readily at hand. Always clean and repaint the innards when doing the change.
But, to the original question, there are people and companies that can use your wheel centers and weld them to new drop center tubeless rims.

56huck

OMG
my original post was loaded with errors
it is a M101A1 (not M100 A1 as originally stated)
i did not measure the lug pattern correctly. They are 5 - 6-1/2” lug pattern
i (think) corrected my original post.
Thank you for noting they are safety rims and not split rims. I will try another tire shop .
thank you for the response.

56huck

I googled “Dave Moore” and didn’t come up with anything that looked like someone who did wheels. Can you direct me to their web page or contact info?
Thank you

Ps: I did find a place that makes a bolt on stud conversion from the existing lug pattern to another (more common) lug pattern. If I do this, I’ll probably convert to my Jeep lug pattern, so I have a spare

quickfarms

Where in Northern California are you located?

Most heavy truck tire places will do the rims or know where to send you.

Another option is to swap the axle and put a m101a2 axle in there.

Stockton wheel could make the rims.

camoyj7

There is a guy on Ebay selling new M101a3 trailer axles in Santa Clarita, California for $350 ea. They have standard 8 lug pattern. Not sure if it's a direct bolt on but I would think it could work.
eBay item number:

56huck

That’s a great find on eBay. It’s 500-miles away, though. I’ll have to see if I can figure a way to get it up here - they don’t ship.
thank you

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
The m101a3 axle will work, but the tires will stick out the sides a bunch. You'd also need the surge brake hitch from an a2 or a3 to be able to use the service brakes.

just me

I googled “Dave Moore” and didn’t come up with anything that looked like someone who did wheels. Can you direct me to their web page or contact info?
Thank you

Ps: I did find a place that makes a bolt on stud conversion from the existing lug pattern to another (more common) lug pattern. If I do this, I’ll probably convert to my Jeep lug pattern, so I have a spare
Just ask for him in the Dodge M37 / M43 group on Farcebook. He is in Oregon.

harleyhouse

Look up trailer supply stores in your state You should be able to get an idle axle for around $200.00 Matching bolt pattern to your jeep
If you want to run factory wheels you may need spacers due to the smaller hub hole on the alloys. There is a great M101a1 rebuild on expo.
search member F&L

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks