• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A1 surge brake problems. Help Needed!

usmc80

Just bought a m101a1 trailer and found that the surge brake doesn't work correctly. I can grab the pintle ring and pull the brake forward and backward with little effort. The trailer will slam back and forth when towed. Can anyone tell me what might be wrong? Thanksaua

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
I didn't think the a1's had surge brakes, anyway, check for anything broke or missing then bleed the brakes, it sounds like air in the lines

jimbob1111

I'd say look for broken or missing parts. The pintle ring should NOT move easily. When you look up into the underside of the coupler you should see a shock, above that a big coil spring. If you need to tow the trailer you can put a bolt & nut throught the coupler to lock out the brakes in a pinch. Have someone move the ring in & out while observing where the slack is & check for a TM for trouble shooting.

If it has surge brakes like the kind that are on a M116a2 there should be a shock absorber, that shock absorber helps regulate how fast the brakes react. Its there so that every tap on the brakes doesnt make the trailer brakes lock up. Its a very simple system which consist of a master cylinder connected to the pintle when the pintle is pressed in toward the trailer a long rod actuated the MC and applys the brakes. The shock absorber keeps the brakes from having that on off feel and so they come on and off more gradually.

A new shock absorber can be had for around 60 bucks. A new MC which is from a 60s era willys jeep can be found from anywhere from 50 to 150 bucks, the rebuild kit is around 20.

Here is a link to all the parts BALCRANK PARTS BREAKDOWN, HYDRAULIC SURGE BRAKE ACTUATOR PARTS BREAKDOWN, BRAKES, ELECTRONIC CONTROLLERS & ACTUATORS, Products

Last edited:

Nonotagain

Just bought a m101a1 trailer and found that the surge brake doesn't work correctly. I can grab the pintle ring and pull the brake forward and backward with little effort. The trailer will slam back and forth when towed. Can anyone tell me what might be wrong? Thanksaua
M101A1 trailers don't have surge brakes, they only have a lever activated parking brake.

M101A2 and A3 trailers use surge brakes in addition to the lever activated parking brake. If the trailer is jerky with starts and stops the surge brake shock asorber is worn out.

Plenty of threads listing the part number can be found on this site.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks