• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2-A3. Best Overall Military Trailer Ever??

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you ever have the pin slip out a bit?
Looks like its barely through the other side.
I wish pin was 3/4" longer but it really can't slip even if not all way through both sides of square tubing. I even slotted the top so it has to be indexed to remove.
When unpinning the gate just go ahead and insert it will pivot nicely as you lower tailgate.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just use chain quick links and add I think 10 pieces of the same diameter chain inbetween the existing chain and the loop on the tailgate. Still has the functionality with the pins and one quick unscrew of a quicklink on each side and it can drop all the way down.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Too big a hole is required for those.
They also just beg to be filled with dirt, etc.
The ones I'm using are flat enough not to cause problems and will not collect dirt.
I'm not sure I would use them either without good bracing on the back side of the sheet steel, I just responded to your statement that you couldn't find them.

I added chain links using repair lap links to lengthen the tail gate chains to level the tailgate.

Everyone needs to be advised though that the chain tabs on the tailgate will bend under heavy loads. I tried to load my 600lb 4-wheeler with the gate level, and bent the tabs. In fact, I was afraid the chains would rip off at the bed weld or the tailgate tabs. If anyone is loading their trailer using ramps, drop the tailgate to vertical and rest the ramp ends on the bed.
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...-Olive-Green!-ATV-4-wheeler-in-a-M101-trailer

Another Ahab

Yeah the strength of yours are great and those holes are scary to cut but the rotation and recessed on the floor are big pluses to me and they are good drains, I use the ones in my 1101 all the time. I think I am going to add them to my 105 body that I am going to to put on my 116A3 chassis.
So they have a built-in integral drain hole? That's a great idea.

It's always a PIA how floor hold-downs become gunk traps, and a drain would sure help.

Of course I guess I should just drill a hole in each.

Have you maybe got a pic of those?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The drain holes are perfect for rain only.
Add leaves, twigs, dirt, etc and they quickly become a PITA.
My M989A1 anchor points had drains and they were always full of something.

I'll stick to the bolt in d-rings rated at 11k each. Zink plated so no rust.
Plenty strong and nothing to retain water and gunk.
Plus I'm not drilling 3" holes in it.
They will be backed with plated steel and be more than strong enough for anything the trailer will carry.

Csm Davis

I'm not sure I would use them either without good bracing on the back side of the sheet steel, I just responded to your statement that you couldn't find them.

I added chain links using repair lap links to lengthen the tail gate chains to level the tailgate.

Everyone needs to be advised though that the chain tabs on the tailgate will bend under heavy loads. I tried to load my 600lb 4-wheeler with the gate level, and bent the tabs. In fact, I was afraid the chains would rip off at the bed weld or the tailgate tabs. If anyone is loading their trailer using ramps, drop the tailgate to vertical and rest the ramp ends on the bed.
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...-Olive-Green!-ATV-4-wheeler-in-a-M101-trailer
Yes they make a steel plate for the back to sandwich the floor for reinforcement and I may get some for mine because I will put a load on mine for sure.

So they have a built-in integral drain hole? That's a great idea.

It's always a PIA how floor hold-downs become gunk traps, and a drain would sure help.

Of course I guess I should just drill a hole in each.

Have you maybe got a pic of those?
Some have holes some don't, I will drill them in my stainless hold downs, and as to trash in the pocket I generally keep the covers on, but the pressure washer works great for cleaning them if not.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

tobyS

Jeff, They look handy with straps or to attach netting. Good reinforcement !

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
B9AA01D5-FB34-4DDF-9648-71CFB35F1EBC.jpgF1147EA6-1DDD-41D2-9D4D-C2006FDB81FE.jpg
I used 1/2" eye bolts though 1"x2" C channel near hinge to help minimize compression of channel. It's hidden by gussets so should never be in way.

880812C5-DEC4-4B7A-B37C-A626DA5C6F5A.jpg0D247870-292C-48F1-84A8-FA8ABAF8D797.jpg
Picture on left is looking down with tailgate up.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 686421View attachment 686422
I used 1/2" eye bolts though 1"x2" C channel near hinge to help minimize compression of channel. It's hidden by gussets so should never be in way.

View attachment 686433View attachment 686434
Picture on left is looking down with tailgate up.
They make forged ones that are very strong. No open end.
I have found that those your using tend to bend rather easily.
Used them on the ranch for different projects.
Good idea on placement.

I would suggest using a lock nut or washer on yours.
Doesn't look like either one is used.

That sprayed in bed liner looks good.

tobyS

They make forged ones that are very strong. No open end.
I have found that those your using tend to bend rather easily.
Used them on the ranch for different projects.
Good idea on placement.

I would suggest using a lock nut or washer on yours.
Doesn't look like either one is used.

That sprayed in bed liner looks good.
I've had some open up too. I put a spot of weld on them, they are not tempered. The open hook looks suspect for opening also.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
D-Rings have been ordered.

Now to fix a weak point on these trailers and install a new tongue jack.
The jack that was installed on the later manufactured units, with the separate jack handle, are hard to find and expensive when you do.
Have read they also don't hold up very well and internals strip out.

Think I will go with the type that is installed on the M1101/2's.
Can bolt or weld them on. Either will work fine.
Not sure if it's a Bulldog or ??? Brand.

Now to find one........
Tired of killing my lower back.

hplacess

I just use chain quick links and add I think 10 pieces of the same diameter chain inbetween the existing chain and the loop on the tailgate. Still has the functionality with the pins and one quick unscrew of a quicklink on each side and it can drop all the way down.
sounds interesting.

would you have any pics of that mod so we can see what the chains look like without the tailgate level (down all the way as normal), and then with the tailgate level (with your chain mod).

if yes, thanks!

Geneyus

I've been looking at a m101 style trailer for sale for $350 in my area. I'm not sure which one it is (a2, a3, etc). I have a few quick questions, since we're talking about which trailer is the best:

1) Can you pull an m101 behind a v6 Toyota Tacoma that tows 6,500 lbs? I am looking for a cool trailer for getting mulch a few times a year, picking up appliances, etc. I would only drive it around town at 30-45mph.

2) Can you move the m416 or the m101 by hand on a level concrete surface, or are they both too heavy?

Forgive me if these are dumb questions. I've just started looking at obtaining a military trailer this week.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks