• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2/A3 Trailer failure warning and PM recommendation

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve owned this M101A2 trailer about 12 years and have put an estimated 13-15 thousand miles on it, including a 4000+ mile trip to WY in 2020 and a 1300+ trip to TX in March. On a 1800 mile trip to the Denton Rally last month, my M101A2 trailer surge brake mounting bolts failed at around 830 miles.

The 4 bolts are labeled #13 bolts in the attached Figure 10 from the TM. The two ½-24 bolts closest to the pintle ring screw in upwards into nuts welded to the surge brake housing, and these had fallen completely out. The two rearward bolts had become loose and the tongue had dropped away from the front of the surge brake housing as can be seen in the photos.

With the help of other Rally attendees, I was able to re-tighten the rear pair of bolts, install one new ½-24 bolt in the front and had to use a smaller bolt and nut in the other hole because I couldn’t find a 1/2-inch grade 8 bolt locally. I also used a 3” ratchet strap to support the tongue, and the repairs lasted another 1050 miles until I could return home.

I recommend every owner check these 4 bolts at least annually, or every 500-1000 miles on trailers that are being used frequently.

M101A2 TM Fig 10.JPG hitch failure 03.JPG hitch failure 04.JPG hitch failure 06.jpg

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have had this warning before. Some said they welded that seam as to not worry about bolts coming loose.
I did some searching before posting, but I'm old and my wife tells me I don't do anything as good as I used to.

I thought about finding a shop to tack weld the plates if my repairs didn't hold, but they are still solid. I may weld the plates if I can't put it back to original with new bolts and nuts.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did some searching before posting, but I'm old and my wife tells me I don't do anything as good as I used to.

I thought about finding a shop to tack weld the plates if my repairs didn't hold, but they are still solid. I may weld the plates if I can't put it back to original with new bolts and nuts.
We must have the same problem and wife. :) Who knew?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks