• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 Axle Bearing and brake questions

Firehound

Howdy!

I've got a 1983 M101A2 that has a bearing that gets uncomfortably warm after a few miles. Where would I begin to look at finding a new set of bearings? Anyone have the tech pubs on how to perform the change?

Also, I've heard tell that the M101A2 has surge brakes, but as best as I can tell mine just has break-away brakes. How do you tell what you really have and how do you tell if it's working properly?

Thanks y'all!

Westech

CPL
I would take them out and check them out/service before I would just say there junk.
It is VERY simple to take them out and do the service. You should not need a manual to do wheel bearings on a dead axle.

As the brakes goes do the brakes come on when trying to back up? It should be a ez tell to see if you have surge brakes or not by the action of the lunet.

Firehound

I dont feel the surge brakes come on when in reverse, but the unit DOES have brakes beyond the parking breaks. There is a hydraulic line running to the hitch and a break-away activation lever. Is it possible to just have the brake-away, or is the system completely inop?

Mistaken1 Thanks for the manual!!! I'm a former Jayhawk Avionics tech, and I currently work on Chinooks... I was hoping to run across a M101 manual that I knew how to read!

I dont feel the surge brakes come on when in reverse, but the unit DOES have brakes beyond the parking breaks. There is a hydraulic line running to the hitch and a break-away activation lever. Is it possible to just have the brake-away, or is the system completely inop?

Mistaken1 Thanks for the manual!!! I'm a former Jayhawk Avionics tech, and I currently work on Chinooks... I was hoping to run across a M101 manual that I knew how to read!

You probably need to adjust the brake shoes. I have had to do that on several.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks