• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 "Features"?

namedpipes

I'm awaiting an EUC on an M101A2 (sent to Battle Creek, should hear back in a couple of years).

In the meantime I'm reading up on it and finding all sorts of cool things about it that I didn't know. I thought I was getting an inexpensive box on wheels that would look wicked cool taking junk to the dump and bringing home firewood...

These things have a dumper? You pull a couple of pins, set a brake and back up, right?

I know about the surge brakes, that was cool. I just saw a thread that hinted if the towing vehicle has air brakes (and the right connections) the brakes will work as service brakes.

Is that the whole list or are there other cool things about this trailer I'll be finding out?

Now I want a DEUCE to tow it with. Where does this hobby end?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No air actuated brakes, just surge.

Stock, it does not dump. Some remove the front two bolts and use removable pins for a dumping system. I have not tried that yet.

You are getting a $3800 trailer for surplus prices, you will be happy with it. They are nice.

The 101 trailers are suitable for use behind a standard pickup truck. The 103 chassis(M105) is suitable for towing behind a 2.5 ton or larger truck(it has air actuated brakes).

Last edited:

Nonotagain

If I were looking for another military surplus trailer, I would purchase the M101A3 over the M101A2.

The A3 version has a 4" frame verses the 3" frame used on the A2. The A3 also has 6 spring leaves verses the A2 only having 5.

The bed on both the A2 and A3 is 100" long per TM 9-2320-202-14P.

The brakes are the same on both trailers. The A3 uses an offset axle (more ground clearance) the A2 a straight axle. The track width on the A3 is wider than an A2 so the trailer should to be more stable.

A3 trailers are a little more difficult to find than A2 versions since they are newer than the A2 version.

Finally, the A3 trailers went with a new anti-corrosion system. The underside of the trailer is rust proofed, the box is zinc coated. The first year (1996) Pribbs trailers have a lot of peeling paint due to a new primer being applied. Remove the peeling paint and apply Rustoleum primer then paint with whatever topcoat you want.

namedpipes

No air actuated brakes, just surge.
I may have read a few M105 bits as M101.

I'm still happy and can't wait to pick it up. (Ft Drum)

The tow vehicle is a 20 y/o Dodge 3/4 ton PU. The license plate relocates to the face of the bumper and there is a mounting point for a pintle hook. That should be about the right height for the M101 and I can still tow a "normal" trailer with the receiver hitch.

LanceRobson

You can also get a pintle hook to go in any 2" reciever hitch. Cost should be $80-120 depending on where and when you buy it. I set mine up on an adjustable height plate and put the pintle at the highest holes to keep the trailer more nearly level. The pioneer trailer sits dead level with the hitch.

Lance

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm, Ft Drum. I am close to there(50 miles). I go up occasionally, if you are interested, PM me the lot and event numbers and I will get an "eye on it" next time I am there. If you need assistance, just ask(PM). I have storage space.

namedpipes

LanceRobson - It looks like I'd get the same hitch height using a pintle on a riser as I would bolting the pintle directly to the mount on the bumper. That's rated for 5000/500. If it doesn't work I'll get the riser plate you mentioned.

doghead - Since MA has no such thing as a temp tag I'm planning on renting a flatbed trailer and bringing it home in one trip.

There is a deuce in my future, though and that recovery will get a little complex due to the size... I can't just tow it home behind my 3/4 ton PU. Picking the right one will be a neat trick, too.

mrhaj

Namedpipes, I'm waiting on my EUC as well for an 101A2 from Fort Drum. I went to the DMV here in Maine and they used a combination of the trailers stock number and serial number. DMV said if when I get the trailer if there is a VIN or a better number to use they would change it.
Ray

deucebigalo

Hmm, Ft Drum. I am close to there(50 miles). I go up occasionally, if you are interested, PM me the lot and event numbers and I will get an "eye on it" next time I am there. If you need assistance, just ask(PM). I have storage space.

Doghead you mention you have space for storage, I was wondering if I scored an 101a2 from ft drum if you could possibly hold on to it or possibly use it to haul some items if you were going to the Aberdeen show and I could pick it up from you then. Ft Drum is alomost 6 hour drive for me and with only 1 day off of work a week its hard to do that drive there and back in 1 day. If I had some warning when an euc would clear and time when pick up was available it would be alot easier

TexAndy

The 103 chassis(M105) is suitable for towing behind a 2.5 ton or larger truck(it has air actuated brakes).
Oh yeah? ;) 1/2 ton silverado.

400+ miles from Alexandria to Beeville. No, I won't do that again. One of the longest, most constant intense stress situations I've ever put myself into. It was not fun.

It was within the max towing capacity of the vehicle, but the height difference was a bit of a problem.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joe, I can certainly help you with getting it and holding it here. Not sure what my Aberdeen plans are, I like to wait to plan things as late as possible! Just PM me anytime.

ralbelt

DH has been storing a M101a2 for me. I should be getting up there in 3 0r 4 weeks. I plan on leaving on a sat afternoon after work driving as far as I can , sleeping in my van and picking up the trailer on sunday and returning. This all has to work into DH's schedule as I'm in no rush. I received my sf97 for it a few days ago so hopefully I can get it tagged before I go. Harbour fgt has magnetic lights on sale for $10.00 with a coupon from guns and ammmo magazine.

Nonotagain

This all has to work into DH's schedule as I'm in no rush. I received my sf97 for it a few days ago so hopefully I can get it tagged before I go. Harbour fgt has magnetic lights on sale for $10.00 with a coupon from guns and ammmo magazine.
As soon as you purchase the lights, verify that they are wired correctly.

I purchased two sets from them that wern't wired correct.

Also, the magnets are rather weak. I lost one on a recovery from Jacksonville Fl. I recently purchased a set of lights made in the USA, bent some stainless steel for the brackets and mounted a set of magnetic welding clamps magnets.

They don't fall over now or will they ever.

Attachments

MN4x4

GL has a few 101A3's up for sale next week. Th interesting thing is that they were built in 1993. Are they really A3's or something else?

Nonotagain

GL has a few 101A3's up for sale next week. Th interesting thing is that they were built in 1993. Are they really A3's or something else?
1993 or up in year of manufacture or remanufacture would be correct for a M101A3 trailer.

The remanufactured trailerwon't have the 4 inch frame, but will be retro fitted with the drop axle an the 6 leaf spring pack.

In M105A3 trailers, 1997 was the first year of manufacture for this trailer and Pribbs was the exclusive manufacturer.

The nice thing abaout the A3 version of the M101 is that they came with the 12 bolt HMWWV wheels and Goodyear radial tires.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i have 2 101a2 trailers.. one has 6 leaves and 4 in frame.. the other has 5 leafs and 3 in frame.. both are A2s. rebuilt in 08

yellowrubicon

I was looking under my M101A2 this afternoon after getting it home and I found a shovel?? It was above the axle mounted to the underside of the bed. I thought it was cool but is that standard equipment?

Milkman357

A shovel under the bed?

When you get stuck... going under anything is the last place for a shovel...

must be what Privates are for?

Sounds like you got a bonus..... is it usable?

maybe you could post a pic?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks