• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 Hitch question

PeterD

I *think* the problem may be the safety chains are too short, and that is one aspect to the problem that I'm looking at. The fact that one can bend a relatively big piece of steel without knowing it does somewhat scare me! I think my next step will be to lengthen the chains a couple of links, replace the receiver, and hope I don't do the same thing again!

Wonder if it would be fair to try to warranty it? :beer:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sorry you guys are having these issues. Do you know what brand you are buying? What the rating is? I saw in some pics that that tube going into the reciever is hollow! Never buy one of those. I have been using one for about 10yrs that has had some crazy loads on it and it is doing fine. Also, at the bottom of my raise hitch adapter, I put some clevises on there to run the saftey chains to. No more worrys about the chains being too short. Maybe this might help.

PeterD

... Also, at the bottom of my raise hitch adapter, I put some clevises on there to run the saftey chains to. No more worrys about the chains being too short. Maybe this might help.

Interesting solution. I'd like to see a picture, but on the other hand, isn't there something in the vehicle code that says the safety chains need to go to the hitch proper, and not the receiver? IIRC, that is to keep the trailer with the towing vehicle if the receiver fails completely.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, my stock chain hookups are on the reciever, so if it fails, I'm SOL anyway. You can go so far for saftey and I try to stay in the reasonable realm. Another solution I have seen is to grab one of the plates from a cucv and bolt that in between the adapter and the hitch.

koolex11

I put some clevises on there to run the saftey chains to. No more worrys about the chains being too short. Maybe this might help.
I like that idea, but where I live (PA/NJ state line) there is a trailer task force that watches for stuff like that and it's illegal here. Chains need to be attached to a secondary mounting point, and I understand the reasoning. Yes we have a full-time task force to pull over the landscapers and roofers to check their trailer safety. Another great way to spend tax money. But hey, keeps that huge number of runaway trailer accidents down! Morons.

I doubt they would ever bother a 35 with a 105 behind it!

koolex11

ditto, I dont like it. Give a different style a shot.
Do you mean different brand? I don't know of any different style of riser plate out there. Are there any?

All the 14-pins I have seen carry no brand name. The small trailer shops all have them, but I don't know who the supplier is.

Fudge0514

Here's a few pics of my setup for my M101A3. I have the high rise adapter from Northern Tool (which is a solid shank). I don't remember what pintle I bought, but I think it was the 8-ton version.

Also, since the high rise adapter sticks out further from the hitch, the safety chains no longer reach the tow vehicle. So, I'm using shackles (or is there preferred nomenclature clevis?).

I'll attach a few pics of my setup. Seems to be working for me now. Also, I don't use the trailer often, maybe 3 or 4 times a year at most.

Edit - I did use the 8-ton pintle from Northern Tool.

Attachments

Last edited:

rfischba1

Never had a problem, I tow with my M1008 pintle setup and have never had any problems towing ir binding of any sizw trailers, even towing a M105 home from GL.

Here's a few pics of my setup for my M101A3. I have the high rise adapter from Northern Tool (which is a solid shank). I don't remember what pintle I bought, but I think it was the 8-ton version.

Also, since the high rise adapter sticks out further from the hitch, the safety chains no longer reach the tow vehicle. So, I'm using shackles (or is there preferred nomenclature clevis?).

I'll attach a few pics of my setup. Seems to be working for me now. Also, I don't use the trailer often, maybe 3 or 4 times a year at most.

Chains should be crossed. You might need to add another shackle.

Fudge0514

This, so you tongue doesn't did into the road.

Surprised you need such a tall hitch with an H-1.
Well I pay taxes for the roads, so they can fix them if I gouge them up. ;-)

Good to know though about why they are crossed. I guess you want to make sure that when the chains are stretched that the "X" will be under the tongue, and a far enough behind so as to actually catch it.

On the HMMWVs they don't use receiver tubes for towing. Their pintle's are mounted in the center of the bumper. I know a guy that modified his civ H1 bumper and installed his pintle just as where it would be on a HMMWV.

Attachments

Fudge0514

Hey guys, I have an M101A2 on the way. GREAT forum you have here.[thumbzup]

Fudge, is THIS the high rise adapter you got from NT? Ultra-Tow Pintle Receiver Adapter — 12in.L x 2in. Square Shank | Hitch Adapters | Northern Tool + Equipment

It looks different.
I think the angle they took their picture from and the angle I took mine from, it does look a little different with respect to the angled support piece. However, the rise (or lower) looks to be the same, 7 pairs of holes. They also could have beefed it up since that picture on their website was taken.

I would venture to guess that the link you posted is the same one I have though. I'd double check for you, but my high rise is with my trailer--all in a storage unit about 25-30 minutes away from me. Not sure the next time I'll swing out that way, but I can do it sometime within the next two weeks probably.

Do you know for sure how high you need to raise (or lower) a pintle?

Keep in mind the M101A2's lunette is not quite as high as an M101A3, at least from what I remember with the M101A2 that I used to own. Obviously, checking the height of the lunette while the trailer sits level is what you need to do.

Mad Dog 20/20

I think the angle they took their picture from and the angle I took mine from, it does look a little different with respect to the angled support piece. However, the rise (or lower) looks to be the same, 7 pairs of holes. They also could have beefed it up since that picture on their website was taken.

I would venture to guess that the link you posted is the same one I have though. I'd double check for you, but my high rise is with my trailer--all in a storage unit about 25-30 minutes away from me. Not sure the next time I'll swing out that way, but I can do it sometime within the next two weeks probably.

Do you know for sure how high you need to raise (or lower) a pintle?

Keep in mind the M101A2's lunette is not quite as high as an M101A3, at least from what I remember with the M101A2 that I used to own. Obviously, checking the height of the lunette while the trailer sits level is what you need to do.
Thanks for the quick reply.

I only need about 5.5" of rise. I ended-up going with this: Convert-A-Ball Cushioned, Adjustable Pintle Mounting Bar for 2" Hitches - 10 Holes - 10,000 lbs Convert-A-Ball Ball Mounts AMPC3

Its a cushioned hitch, and hopefully will absorb some shock that my truck and its drivetrain would otherwise see.

Fudge0514

Thanks for the quick reply.

I only need about 5.5" of rise. I ended-up going with this: Convert-A-Ball Cushioned, Adjustable Pintle Mounting Bar for 2" Hitches - 10 Holes - 10,000 lbs Convert-A-Ball Ball Mounts AMPC3

Its a cushioned hitch, and hopefully will absorb some shock that my truck and its drivetrain would otherwise see.
I'd be a little cautious on that one. It weighs 13 lbs, seems the shank is not solid. It's hollowed out for the cushioning device.

The model that Northern Tool sells features a solid shank, and overall weight is 24 lbs.

I'm definitely no expert on this stuff, just an observation.

Mad Dog 20/20

I'd be a little cautious on that one. It weighs 13 lbs, seems the shank is not solid. It's hollowed out for the cushioning device.

The model that Northern Tool sells features a solid shank, and overall weight is 24 lbs.

I'm definitely no expert on this stuff, just an observation.
No, I think your point is well-taken. I share a bit of your concern. However, I think it will be OK for a couple of reasons: a) the shank is very short, and b) the shock absorbing nature of the shank should limit the loads placed on it.

It has a 2 yr warranty. We'll see how it goes. If it bends/fails, I'll post up.

Last edited: