• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 Interior Headroom?

namedpipes

I'm in the infamous EUC holding pattern... while I wait I'm trying to justify the purchase to my wife. In addition to yard work I plan to use it for camping. It would be great if the interior (with canvas on) dimensions are big enough to use as a "tent".

So from the cargo bed to the underside of the canvas top, how much headroom is there? I'm positive there's enough to sleep in but would there be enough to say, sit in a camp chair and relax?

So #1 I did look in the TM (TM 9-2330-202-14&P) first and did a search of this forum on "m101a2 interior dimensions", finding this: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/trailers/30370-m101-dimensions.html#post321735 which says in part:

Height of Chassis .................................................. .................35 in. (88.9 cm)
Height of Cargo Trailer (M101A2 and M101A3):
Empty............................................. .....................................83 in. (210.82 cm)

I guess that "could" mean 4' of headroom?

Anyone having an M101A2 w/ cover care to measure it and let me know? Prize is a cup of coffee should we ever cross paths.

blybrook

I don't have my M101 with me at the office, but it's really close to 4' clear. I doubt that I'd try to get into a regular camp chair while in the back, but am planning to use it for camping adventures from time to time as well.

HTH

Bill

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BRB. I love coffee.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dang, Blybrook had it right with his guess, so I guess he gets the Cup-0-Joe.:roll:

My M101 measured 48" inside height.

I also checked an M105 while I was right there with a tape and it was 60" inside height.

gunboy1656

You will not be able to fit a chair in to relax, BUT you can get creative and raise the roof. Just like they do for the deuces and the M105's. Make as much height room as you need. Some plywood for the sides and hooks to hold the cover on and your good.

blybrook

Dang, Blybrook had it right with his guess, so I guess he gets the Cup-0-Joe.:roll:

My M101 measured 48" inside height.

I also checked an M105 while I was right there with a tape and it was 60" inside height.
I grant Doghead the cup-o-joe reward as he gave a true measurement and mine was more of how it felt while working in it the other day. 8) (or should I saw forego the reward option to the true measurement...)

Bill

Last edited:

namedpipes

blybrook if I ever get to ALASKA I'll stand by that coffee, but doghead will have a sooner chance to collect when I pester him for background info on my eventual recovery(s) from Ft Drum :-D

I like the idea of raising the roof... I saw a thread here a week or two ago showing a Deuce with a nice campsite in the back with a raised canopy.

60" in an M105, eh? First things first. But maybe a larger trailer in my future...

Engine5

... while I wait I'm trying to justify the purchase to my wife.

HeeHeeHee, good luck with that. I found it is better to not tell her until the day before I pick something up. "But hon it was soooo cheap I can sell it and make money off it" Goes over like a fart in court. But by then it's too late.

By the way I am from MA also. Welcome to the site, great place to be.
Quote from Dante's Inferno...... abandon hope all ye who enter here" The green iron just keeps coming now.:mrgreen:

namedpipes

HeeHeeHee, good luck with that. I found it is better to not tell her until the day before I pick something up. "But hon it was soooo cheap I can sell it and make money off it" Goes over like a fart in court. But by then it's too late.

By the way I am from MA also. Welcome to the site, great place to be.
Quote from Dante's Inferno...... abandon hope all ye who enter here" The green iron just keeps coming now.:mrgreen:
She's never let me forget the time she went into the garage to get something and found the Jeep she'd told me I couldn't get 6 months before. (oops!) That took a pair of very nice gold earrings to smooth over. This trailer is going to cost me new kitchen cabinets. I can't imagine what the Deuce will run me when I get around to THAT.

Fellow Mass guy, eh? I was beginning to think anything green was stopped at the border!

Engine5

The Deuce will cost you at least.... 6 dinners in a resturant with the Mother in law, 6 times sitting there while the wife models 10 bags of new summer clothes and saying they look great, 5 hr minimum of the Lifetime channel, watching dirty dancing and ghost back to back and not mixing her white cloths with the colored cloths in the wash anymore and last but not least a $1200 Kirby vacume cleaner that has more options that will never ever be used.
But in the end, you get to grab a cold beer and sit inside the deuce, front or back and it's all goooood.:beer:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 101 is a pretty nice tent camper. The fenders wells inside are reasonable seats, especially if you had something to make them just a little softer. That is handy because chairs in there take up extra room. Put a piece of 3/4" plywood across the front part (as a shelf), sitting it on the top of the trailer sides. Notch it to go around the stakes to hold it in lace, and put a cleat on the rear edge to keep stuff from falling off while in transit. You can put your cook gear on the shelf and store your bedroll under it it, when not in use.

By comparison, the 105 gives you a lot more room.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks