• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 Lugs & Brakes

RWG421

I managed to win a M101A2 from Nellis, and I can’t tell for certain from the pictures what the lugs are on this trailer.

I have read some of the M101 post that it’s a standard 8 lug, but this looks like it’s got a whole lot more going on.

Additionally, do the GI surge brakes have a break-away activator? If so is there anything special in resetting it.

Thanks in advance for you advice.

Attachments

Nonotagain

To reset the break-a-way lever you need a screw driver to lift a piece of spring steel that engages the ratchet paw on the brake actuator.
Once you lift the spring stock, push the ratchet paw back to reset.
If you can't reset the paw, block out the brakes using a 6" long 3/8" diameter bolt.
Easy to do.

blybrook

Nice score! Agreed, those are hummvee rims. Any 8 on 6.5 rim will work (Fords '92 through '97 & others, I know it's been posted on before).

nonotagain has nailed it on how to reset it. You'll know exactly what he is talking about once you look at the actuator in person. Based on what I can see in the picture, it will NOT be needing a reset; but who knows who's monkeyed with it since those photos were taken.

RWG421

So what am I to expect if I get a Flat? (300 Miles to bring it home) I have not had any experience with run flats. If is does go flat can I fill it with GOO?

I assume the outer bolts are for the insert, but if I have to pull it off on the road what size lug nut is it?, and will a tire center know what to do with this type of tire?

Thanks

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't drive on a run flat due only to the fact that if you do, you will destroy the tire at road speed. I would drive on it only long enough to get me to the next exit on the highwAy, to a gas station, ect. Most places dint know how to deal with inserting/removing the run flat. ( it is a PITA), nor will they have replacement O rings for the split rims. (you will need the red ones for the HMMWV)

Other than that they are great tires, but heavy as heck. If having the HMMWV tires isnt important, you can sell them, buy CUCV rims/tires, and make a tidy profit. Plus, you have tires that are easily fixable/replaceable and cheap.

I would not use the fix a flat type stuff in ANY tire either, unless it was a last resort. It throws the tire forever off balance, and is incredibly hard to clean.

For purposes of getting the trailer 300 miles to home, bring an air pig or comprerssor make sure they are inflated properly (35 PSI is what I run mine at) and go. Make sure all lug nuts are tight. 99% of the time the nuts holding the rims togther are OK (not loose) but it cant hurt to check.

Also, do yourself a favor and take the 10 minutes to remove the cover. No need to subject it to road speed winds for no reason, and your MPG's will be higher.

Whats your plan for lights on the trip home?

As a general rule, 2 wheel trailers are pretty easy to recover. Not much to go wrong. Low tire pressure and bad bearings are the 2 biggies for potential problems when picking up from GL. Bearings are easy to check, drag it a few miles down the road and feel the hubs. really warm or hot hubs = bearing problems. Warm or cool hubs = good to go.

Also, I'd take the cover off for the ride home, maybe even the sideboards too. No need to drop your MPG's for nothing.

Last edited:

Ressoldier

The outer set of bolts is to seperate the two rim halves. The HMMWV rim is a two piece bolt together and locks the bead on the outside. As mentioned you will need a new o-ring if you take your rims apart to change tires. Also the HMMWV rims are a 16.5 and can be hard to find tires for in other than commercial tread. If you do not need a 36" or 37" tire I would sell them and get a standard 8 lug rim in 16"

lindyp38

i followed emmado's advice when i picked up my trailer last yr....and all went well....i was very happy with his input.......the proverbial voice of experience..........he is right on with his advice.......it worked for me and continues to work for me.........

koolex11

If you paid the price of an A2 and got an A3 then you got a great deal. Nice looking trailer! I'm jealous. Wish I had time to go pick one up.

RWG421

I made it back from my 300 mile recovery ( Wind, rain ,snow)

The port side hub ran a VERY healthy warm the whole time. Can I assume I need to replace the bearing , or just a repack.

RWG421

When I was inspecting the bows I noticed that they were wood, is this original for an A3?

Also the front panel has wood slates while the rest are all aluminum.??

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The sideboards.... There are wood ones, and fiberglass ones. Depending on the mission on any particular day, the trailer may or may not of needed the sideboards/bows/canavas. In my motor pool we had a big pile of sideboards that we would grab if we needed them. If we didnt, we'd throw what was on the trailer onto the pile, so parts became mixed and matched over time. Wood uprights tend to swell over time, making them a PITA to get out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks