• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 Picatinny question

Milbikes

Happy day, I just won a M101A2 trailer to use with my M1008. It is in Picatinny NJ. Would there be anyone in the area that could assist me in getting it onto my trailer when the time comes? I envision putting it upside down on my 5x8 landscaping trailer (Which can easily handle the weight). I am thinking of some 6"x6" posts across the rails of my trailer, supporting the upside down M101A2.

I plan to get the M101A2 standing straight up on it's back end, and slowly lowering it down onto my trailer (rope attached to another vehicle), using the come-along to get it up on the trailer, and plenty of strong straps to hold it down.

Do-able? Hal in CT

emr

that may get U in more hot water than it is worth, just sayin, and I know u are kidding of course... they are good guys up there, but some have tried to take advantage of vehicles in the lot, they have cameras that are on, all should know this... and the office that is in charge of this is in the high windows that can see almost the entire complete yard... fyi.

Milbikes

Only kidding!

Thanks for the info, and you are right that I am only kidding. I would never try anything shady like switching numbers on an item. Somebody always gets burned when that happens. Some try it though. I bid on a Civil War sword at an auction once, won the bid, and when I went to cash out, they gave me a different sword with the lot tag transferred onto it. I politely told them there had been a mistake and the sword had been switched. They said "no, you are wrong, this is the one you bid on". I had been collecting swords for years, and knew what I bid on. They refused. I had to go stand right in front of the auctioneer and interrupt the auction and stress my point for about a minute, and he finally yelled to the cashier "give him his sword". Looking forward to a smooth trailer transaction! Keeping the fingers crossed. H.

Katahdin

Never been to Picatinny, but at Ft Drum they bring the trailer to you with a Forklift. I'd call the GL office where your trailer is to see if they can load it onto your trailer for you.

derf

That one looks pretty good, from what I've seen. It doesn't have sides, bows, or canvas, but other than that it looks solid.

I would bring magnetic lights, pintle hitch, spare tires/wheels, and a farm jack. It is what I did.
Harbor Freight has magnetic light kits on sale for $10.

Why flip a 1000+ pound thing upside down unless you absolutely must?

The brake system will most probably work. Once you flip it, though, you will surely lose all the fluid.

Assume the tires are bad. The tread may be great but all the trailers I've seen had tires that were cracked and not fit for highway use.

Call your local DMV and ask if they can do a temporary tag for transport.
I didn't do any tag. I guess you can say I took my chances with law enforcement in MS and LA.

Inspect it carefully. There is most likely SOMETHING that made someone chose to liquidate that trailer.

I bought three from two separate locations and all were road worthy except for the tires.

Get a 3/8" X 4" bolt or rod that you can stick in the hole to disable the surge brakes for backing up.

Read other posts about recovering M101A2s.

If I had to recover two at one time and wanted to make one trip I might consider flipping one on top of the other but I would not drag a trailer to pick up a trailer.