• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 Questions.

sapper043

Well I just purchased an other M101A2 after selling my last one. I regreted selling it so much I had to have another one.

The new one I purchased needs much more work that my last one and is missing a bunch of pieces. I am not sure where to start on finding pieces for it.

Here is the list of pieces I know I need right now;

1. Saftey chains with mounting bolts,
2. Tailgate chains and latches,
3. Rear D-rings.

Any help or ideas where to find original parts would be prefered.

I have big plans for this trailer like I did my last one. I plan to sandblast and paint the entire trailer black. Including the expanded metal (aluminum) cage. I will add side bin (topside boxes) to each side of the trailer as well as 30 Gal water tank and pump with an onboard shower unit and much more.

I would also like to change the brakes to eliminate the surge brakes and replace the brakes with electric brakes but I would like to try and retain the manual hand brakes if I can.

I need to take some pictures of the new trailer but here was my last one.

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure , but I would check all the major supply houses. Nice looking trailer, I gotta ask, why the expanded metal top.

harleyhouse

Safety chains : go with cables I found mine on ebay and love them,
No noise, they recoil and keep off the ground, and are rated at 8000 pounds test. exchanged the rear lower mounting bolt with a longer one, sleeve and a washer. They work great.

tailgate pins and cable stays. I have seen these on ebay and I am sure someone on SS forum has a pair to give / sell you. I replaced the chains with 1/8" aircraft cable. no noise, lighter and no scratching up the paint on the tub.

Rear rings can be found on ebay or here on the SS forum.

Attachments

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Electric brakes are problematic, but often due to the wiring running to the wheels on an axle that is constantly moving - the wire fails!. Its hard to imagine how you would change axles, to one with electric brakes, and not eliminate the parking brakes that are integral to the surge brake axle assembly.

I towed a 10K MEP-003, on one of these trailers from Ft Lee, VA. to Alaska (winter conditions) - the brakes are "fool proof", if you will just give them a little service once in a blue moon. They are bullet proof. Brakes don't get any better then the way they are. If you don't like the pintle hitch on the front, it can be changed to a 2&5/16" ball, availiable from the Mfg.

Attachments

sapper043

Electric brakes are problematic, but often due to the wiring running to the wheels on an axle that is constantly moving - the wire fails!. Its hard to imagine how you would change axles, to one with electric brakes, and not eliminate the parking brakes that are integral to the surge brake axle assembly.

I towed a 10K MEP-003, on one of these trailers from Ft Lee, VA. to Alaska (winter conditions) - the brakes are "fool proof", if you will just give them a little service once in a blue moon. They are bullet proof. Brakes don't get any better then the way they are. If you don't like the pintle hitch on the front, it can be changed to a 2&5/16" ball, availiable from the Mfg.
I understand the issues with electric brakes but I just like the ability to control the trailer from in the cab a bit more than with surge brakes. I had nothing but issues with the surge brakes on my last trailer as they would stay on and drag increasing the bearing temps. 90% of the time when I towed that trailer I just locked them out completely. I am a wiring ninja and the electrical side of things is easy if you use the correct materials and plan for wear. I normally build in "patch" cables using weather pack connectors so that areas that wear can be replaced quickly.

Also for using the trailer to dump you can use the electric brakes from in the cab to dump the trailer which is nice.

I didn't even think to swap out the

Safety chains : go with cables I found mine on ebay and love them,

No noise, they recoil and keep off the ground, and are rated at 8000 pounds test. exchanged the rear lower mounting bolt with a longer one, sleeve and a washer. They work great.

tailgate pins and cable stays. I have seen these on ebay and I am sure someone on SS forum has a pair to give / sell you. I replaced the chains with 1/8" aircraft cable. no noise, lighter and no scratching up the paint on the tub.

Rear rings can be found on ebay or here on the SS forum.

I have been following your build on expo portal for a while now.

I found the same saftey cables today for $15 but I aways really liked the chains that the originals had.

I like the cables you put on the tailgate pins but I always used the tailgate down as a cooking area and really liked that feature. Can you still lock you tailgate level with the bed? I will have to watch for the tailgate pins for sale then.

I was going through my garage and I think I may have found a set of the d-rings for the rear. I will have to wait for the rain to stop and then I will check to make sure.

Keep the input coming...

I forgot to mention I also plan to add a full lenght bed slide to make loading and unloading of gear easier.

koolex11

It is a Canadian M101A2 that originally had a 60kW Deutz Genset inside which was removed before I owned it.
Tell the truth sapper. "Deutz Genset" is Canadian for bear. The military used it to haul bears! JK, that is a beautiful trailer and I wish I had that cage on one of mine. For bears.

I would never switch out the hydraulic brake for electric. It's just so much more to worry about. The surge brake is ingenius!

koolex11

And as far as Harley's gate wires, you could always just make yours the right length so the gate sits flat, then use a couple of carabiners or the like to hold it. I have seen guys add 3-4 links of chain with a carabiner or quick link, if you want to go that route.

sapper043

koolex11

Like the ramp. That's smart. Did you buy your new trailer from govliquidation? I was just wondering if you had a GL site nearby.

sapper043

I paid too much for my trailer but they are not easy to find in Canada at all. I bought it from a private sale. I believe they were the first owner after the Canadian Forces.

I wish I could buy them directly from the US Gov auction listings but they will not allow for export including Canada. I could sell them all day up here for a decent profit even a generic light duty trailer sells for too much money here.

koolex11

Yes those US auctions are a great deal. I think you will be able to find the parts you are looking for if you keep watching eBay and SS classifieds. I am trying to see what I can did up to sell.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks