• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 surge brake question

David Dannenberg

All,

I have a 1985 M101A2 (actually it is an M116A2 that I got a 101 body for; only difference is heavier springs and two rear landing legs that I removed).

I just took apart the surge brake actuator to check the shock. It is fine.

However...nomenclature first (as I intend it):

Straps: the four bars that attach the moving part of the brake that includes the lunette, to the stationary part of the brake that includes the master cylinder and is fixed to the tongue.

Pins: the double ended bolt-type things that run through both main sections of the brake to and hold the straps on

bushings: the plastic pieces that go between the pins and the housings for the pins.

So my question: when the brake moves, are the straps supposed to ride on the pins with the pins remaining fixed, or are the pins supposed to move within the bushings with the straps fixed to the pins. Or both?

I ask because on mine the pins are rusted and don't move very freely within the bushings. I managed to get everything apart while only wrecking one bushing, and i greased up the pins and bushings, but it is not like the pins will move very freely within the bushings.

Should those pins and bushings be replaced? If so, where in the world can i get some (other than cannibalizing the spare complete surge brake assembly I have stashed in my attic)?

Thanks for any suggestions or opinions.

David Dannenberg
M101A2
Philadelphia

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bushings replace.
Pins replace only if they are worn.

New parts from the original manufacturer (Hydro-Act) are available from Croft Trailer Supply.
www.crofttrailer.com
Prices are not bad considering the OEM parts.

IMG_7058.jpg

Be be sure to physically check all the bolts holding on the actuator assembly to the frame, etc.
They are known being loose.

David Dannenberg

Thanks. That's great to know.

So are the pins supposed to move inside the bushings? Mine aren't worn per se, but are rusty and don't move within the bushings--at least not easily.

David

Bushings replace.
Pins replace only if they are worn.

New parts from the original manufacturer (Hydro-Act) are available from Croft Trailer Supply.
www.crofttrailer.com
Prices are not bad considering the OEM parts.

View attachment 699369

Be be sure to physically check all the bolts holding on the actuator assembly to the frame, etc.
They are known being loose.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes
bushings are tight in tubes and pins rotate within the bushings.

Most surplus ones are rusted.
Simply remove and use a wire wheel to remove and lightly re-grease and reinstall.
The grease isn't required, just something I do, mainly to prevent rust.

New pins and bushings will make a difference.

David Dannenberg

Thanks for clarifying. I did wire wheel and grease, but I think that new bushings at least and maybe new pins are in order. Will get in touch with Croft.

David

Yes
bushings are tight in tubes and pins rotate within the bushings.

Most surplus ones are rusted.
Simply remove and use a wire wheel to remove and lightly re-grease and reinstall.
The grease isn't required, just something I do, mainly to prevent rust.

New pins and bushings will make a difference.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've ordered from them several times.
No problems

I need to get a new surge shock.
Mine went out last week.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My notes say the following:
Generically: 1844-2
Macco 18442 ir 844-2, HO570K2J
Gabriel T40726SA also 1844-2
back in 2005 bought them from Redneck Trailer Supply Carlisle PA (717) 241-4444 for $52 ea. (ouch!)

They have gone up in price a bit. Expensive little suckers.
$160 at RedNeck
Most places are $130
Croft is $113

oh well. It is what it is

TaylorTradingCo

I just scrapped a couple of M101A3 surge brakes recently, so I may have some parts if you have something damaged, like the arms or cylinder or whatever.
Derek

David Dannenberg

Holy cow! Might be worth checking some of the surplus places--ArmySurplyswarehouse out in Idaho and some others and ask them who to ask. Manerie up in Grand Isle Vt might be a source if he is still in business.

David

David Dannenberg

That's great. Tinstar is looking for surge brake shock and I wouldn't mind having another one of those in my spares pile.
I am looking for the pins and bushings for the main mechanism--the bolts that hold the straps that allow the thing to move.I can dig out the diagram and give you a part number if you need it. How much? Would need to ship to Philadelphia.
The other item that constantly fails on these things are the hand brakes, so spare hand brake levers would be welcome as well.
Thanks!

David

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck on the hand brake levers. Very difficult to find and pricey when you do.
Most cables on eBay are the wrong ones, yet say they are for the M101A2/3.

Surplus parts for these trailers are scarce.

TaylorTradingCo

I know what you mean about the E-Bay brake cables, too short, but they work just fine if you re-position the little securing bracket.

Good luck on the hand brake levers. Very difficult to find and pricey when you do.
Most cables on eBay are the wrong ones, yet say they are for the M101A2/3.

Surplus parts for these trailers are scarce.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks