• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 Towing Speed

wltrmtty

I was looking at the Technical Manual for my M101A2 trailer and read that the maximum recommended towing speed is 50MPH. Is this how fast people are towing these trailers? When I bought the trailer, I towed it back to Wisconsin from Kansas and I think I drove 65MPH the whole way. Why would the speed be so low?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are a lot of things in TM's, that nobody pays any mind to, or believes in, for that matter. I'm sure that you can find some that have seen far faster speeds then those posted.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you look at most U-Haul trailers they will have max speed of 45 to 55 painted on the trailers . There are a couple reasons speed and load rating of tires and the more weight and speed the more heat created on the wheel bearings. Exesive heat leads to bearing failure . High speeds can also overheat the brakes . So basicly the speed rating is for safety.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
The speed is so low because the military said so. The m101a2 is designed for the CUCV series trucks, which have a max speed of 55, which was also the national speed limit at the time. Highway speeds are no problem for an a2 or a3 trailer. I'd wager the 55 mph limit on some uhaul trailers would have something to do with fact that there are places where 55 is the max when towing a trailer regardless of the speed limit.

12vman

I drive these from Ft Knox or Ft Campbell all the time driving at least 70-80 mph for 1-2 hrs straight..........they track straight and hv never given me a problem

That is the best advice for the tires

Check the wheel bearing temp after a few miles then at every stop when you do your walk around.
Actually. it's the worse advice for tires. What's on the side of the tire is the Maximum PSI. Auto/Truck manufacturer engineers spend a great deal of time coming up with them and they are located on the door pillar. Running you tires at the max PSI is a good was to wear them out prematurely and have terrible handling characteristics.

dnote

Actually. it's the worse advice for tires. What's on the side of the tire is the Maximum PSI. Auto/Truck manufacturer engineers spend a great deal of time coming up with them and they are located on the door pillar. Running you tires at the max PSI is a good was to wear them out prematurely and have terrible handling characteristics.
Agreed.

harleyhouse

60 PSI is what I found to be good.1. 80 PSI is the max pressure for my 235-85-16 tires2. I did the chalk tread test mark a band across the tire run down a black top parking lot and see if the tread is at full width coverage " it is"3. Lower pressure causes the sidewall to bulge and the tire to run hot.4. roll resistance is good at this selected pressure.5. I do not use the door jam listings because I upsized the tires on my truck6. I run the same wheels and tires on my truck and trailer and everything works well. The trailer has hauled more miles than it ever did in military service.

Attachments

3dAngus

A lower pressure then 60 psi cause the tires to buldge?
You got about two extra tons in that 3/4 ton trailer.
Nobody needs 60psi in a small trailer tire. It's overinflated.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Generally, tire pressure is a compromise. Pressure should be adjusted to for the load - or- lack of one. Radial tire sidewalls are designed to bulge and flex. The 35 PSI Uncle Sam says is good for the 235-85,16R, is usually in the ball park, and adds to a smoother ride, but should be adjusted for the load. The problem is, we don't find that conveniant.