• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 Wheel/Tire Upgrade?

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 37.5 tires on my M1008A1 and the standard tires on my M101A2. The trailer is significantly lower than my CUCV, so I tried the 37s on the trailer. The look is better but the change only raised the trailer by about 3/4 of an inch, I expected more! Any way, they fit fine, no rubbing anywhere and since the truck and trailer are just for show it looks really good.

Attachments

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you got lucky.
I tried putting them on my M116A2, and even with 1/2" spacers the tires are rubbing against the brake cable with no room to move it.
Might just be that you're running the old bias ply tires instead of newer radials though.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Original Goodyear Bias is a 36x12.50x16.5

Thanks for posting as I have some old 36 8 bolts on a rolling chassis and would not have thought about trying it on my a2's as I had always heard about rubbing and do not like spacers.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a half dozen of these 101s, this one is on display with my CUCV at the Arkansas Air and Military Museum at Drake Field. It won't be getting any loads and just driving around the air field it rolls real nice, and looks real good! But with it's new paint job and new shoes I may have to paint the M1008A1 to match it!

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have three stencil machines in storage, I just have to find them! The big one is easy to find but it is the size of a card table and weighs a ton. the two smaller font ones are in hiding!

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m not all that familiar with the 101 A2 but I had a 101 at one point. The Lunette on my 101 had a dog leg bend and it could be flipped over to change the hitch height. Does anyone know if the Lunette from a 101 would fit on the 101A2?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The a2 & 3 use a surge brake unit with a different lunette.
There is a substitute aftermarket adjustable riser but it is not used by the military that could raise it.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the tires to fit, I had to lift the CUCV three inches. I have toyed with the idea of fabing up some spacers for the trailer body to compensate but it looks like the juice is just not worth the squeeze!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks