• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 Wood Sides

sggoat

I decided to refresh the wood sides on my A2. Removed all the wood and sanded all the old cracked paint off. Undeneath all the grunge was some seriously good looking wood. Does anyone out there know what kind of wood was used for the sides? My A2 was built by Kasel Mfg. in Pa. in 1989.
Thanks for any help,
Gary

DAP

White oak not red oak. White oak cell structure supposedly makes it last longer than red oak and less susceptable to cracking. Good tight grained white oak is harder to find.

Nick

When I brought remnants of my wood from my 1952 M101 to the lumber mill to have new wood made, thats exactly what they told me. White oak is stronger and lasts longer, and thats what the old wood from my 52 was, so thats what I replaced it with. In this area, we have a version of it called Valley Oak. Went thru two router bits routing the edges, hard hard stuff

sggoat

I would have thought maybe Oak also, but after I got the wood off and started sanding--it's not Oak, Red or White, the grain pattern is way too close for Oak. This wood was a little splintery too, and had a definite reddish cast to it. My vote is Mahogany. When I ran a couple of the side boards through the planer, it chattered the same as Mahog does. I had a small piece of Honduran Mahogany in the shop, you can see from the pics, the grain is very similar(sorry I didn't take pics before I varnished it), but the wood looked just like the sample piece.

Attachments

3dAngus

When in the bush, you will survive on anything you can use.

Mahogany is not something the military would use. White oak is. But then again, any airman could pick up any wood and put it to use if need be. Once covered with paint, even the motor pool Sgt. wouldn't know the difference. You might have an oddity.

sggoat

I went back to the PO and we checked all his other trailers(some Kasel, some from others{Jackson??}) the Kasels(3) all had mahogany side wood and bows. The others(4) appeared to be Oak. In addition, several of his larger trucks all had mahogany battery boxes installed.- go figure

3dAngus

I absolutely LOVE mahogany. I would buy every trailer there just for the old mahogany.

My guess is, those MVs spent some time and duty in Central America.

Congrats on a great find.

Last edited:

sggoat

IMG_0161.jpgLocation is very possible. I never asked the question of where they came from. The PO's brother has a lumber business-I got a long piece of Honduran Mahogany to replace the one front bow that was metal. Should be done in a week or so.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great looking sides on that 101 ssgoat. I was going to say nice looking wood, but I don't want that to be misinterpreted.... :smile:

Wood that nice almost looks out of place on a military trailer. I like the top down restoration you've got going.

MarcusOReallyus

It's possible it's a lower grade mahogany, not good enough for pretty furniture, but still usable. I haven't seen any figures, but considering where it comes from I'd guess mahogany is pretty rot-resistant.

White oak is highly rot-resistant. Better than cedar.

My late brother was a woodworker. It just fried his hide that I burn nice red & white oak, walnut, and black cherry in my wood stove. :mrgreen:

(Don't worry - it's all short stuff - not suitable for milling.)

3dAngus

You are right Marcus.

I believe the white oak vs cedar rot resistance theories and comparisons are going to depend on whether it is in the water or not (boat building), temperament to locality regions and fungus readily availble in the area, and above ground or below ground construction.

I prefer white oak for strength, but cedar for rot resistance in the Southeastern US above and below ground. This is untreated, of course. With treatment, like paint, oils, etc. anything goes depending on application and what you use for that application.

Even pine would do if properly painted and maintained for a M10? series trailer side rails.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks