• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A3 brake question

Mike O.

Picked up an M101A3 on Tuesday (after nearly three months waiting for my EUC) at Ft. Meade MD. Spent an hour rewiring the harness to work with my 7 blade RV connector doing all the wiring correctly with heatshrink sheathing. Changed bulbs to 12V. Thought I was good to go....until I got to the brakes.

When I went to hook up, the parking brakes were on and working. I noticed that the breakaway tab was pulled up - all the way. But, no brakes. Hmmm...maybe this is why they DRMO'd it.

It pulled free with the breakaway tab up. Made no difference up or down.

Master cylinder is full.

Any thoughts?

By the way, to confirm because it's not clear from the online manuals, is the pin that is inserted below the breakaway tab (4" below the breakaway tab) for backup lockout? Or am I being stupid and this is required to make the brakes operable.

By the way, this thing pulls like a dream even at 80 mph.

Mike O.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I think that pin is the brake lock out pin. Pull it out and see what happens, put the breakaway tab down first.

Mike O.

Figured it out. Looks like it had never been adjusted. My guess is that they drove it somewhere with the breakaway tab up, wearing the linings down until it freed up. Popped the breakaway tab back down, pulled the inspection/adjustment covers off which had never been removed as the paint was still sealed between the rubber and backing plate. Adjusted them per the manual. Brakes work fine now.

I hate to say it though...but I have to get rid of the HMMWV wheels/tires. They are rediculously big.

Mike O.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re-packing the wheel bearings is a good precaution. That will give you a chance to look at that lining. If they drug those linings, things probably got hot. The grease can get pretty well dried out from age too.

MarcusOReallyus

I hate to say it though...but I have to get rid of the HMMWV wheels/tires. They are rediculously big.

Mike O.

Yep. That's a lot of weight to haul around. But you aren't likely to have a problem finding a buyer.

Mine came with the standard rims and some very nice almost brand new Michelin truck tires. Barely broken in. Load rating is well over what the axle is rated for, so I'm a happy camper.