• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A3 - cargo anchor install

number9

Been on the lookout for one of these trailers for a while now. Haven't seen any come up around home or for cheap, so I paid for one and will be taking a trip to Ft Meade soon I guess.

Got one complete with tarp. Plan on using it for a dirtbike trailer. I'm gonna add a toolbox off an M116 and a couple of fuel can mounts either along the side or up on the tongue. May think about fabing up a fold down tailgate ladder like on the M105A3 too, have to think about that.

Also, I'll need to add some of the cargo anchors like are in the M105A3. Has anyone done this or know where to get them and go about installing? I'd imagine install is pretty straight forward but any do/donts from you that have been there done that would be nice.

Nonotagain

The cargo anchors are easy Trailer D-Ring Tie Down, Recessed Swivel Brophy Trailer Cargo Control RR06

You'll have to fab up something to attach to the tail gate since the M101 series trailers don't fold down flat like the M105A3 does.

I swapped out the wheels on one of my A3's to civilian 16" rubber which makes it easier to load and unload.

HMWWV radials are 37" tall verses the 245X75-16's that I used. Found the tires and wheels on Craigslist for a song.

blybrook

To get my tailgate to stay flat out when camping or loading, I utilized a couple short pieces of heavy dog / swing chain (approx 12" of 3/16" chain, total), 2 chain quick links and 2 locking spring snaps (similar to key chain type, but heavier duty and made for dog runs).

I used the quick link to connect to the original chain just behind the original pin and put the spring snaps at the other end. I just put the snap near where the chain connects to the body of the trailer when I'm utilizing the original pin to hold the tailgate shut. A future addition will be something to cover the additional chain, other than spray paint.

I'll get a couple pictures of the addition tonight if I don't forget the camera at my office again...

EDIT - Here are a couple of pictures I took of it this morning, was too dark when I got home to get decent shots last night. There are 5 links on each side, plus the quick link and the spring snap. It now sits level with the bed when down.

HTH

Attachments

Last edited:

Nonotagain

Thanks for the link nonotagain. Looking at that site, I think I like the looks of these a little better Recessed Trailer D-Ring Tie Down with Backing Plate and Hardware, 5K Brophy Trailer Cargo Control RR5K

The only issue that I see with the linked tie downs are that you can't rotate the fitting so that it's in a straight line with the load. For your application it might not matter.

I seem to recall that the mud flaps on my M116A3 were about 14" wide and 16-18" long. The mud flaps just barely cover the width of the 12.5" tire.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My bike trailer came with the recessed D-ring tie downs. I left them in and ran E-Track right over the top of them. It has been a dream for hauling. I used a strip down the middle and one on each side.

Now considering running a strip of E-Track down each side of my deuce bed near the top edge. Would greatly enhance quick tie down ability.

DAP

I was thinking of use D-ring hold down tracks like they use in aircraft but this might be cheaper and lower profile

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fear I have with the different tie downs is rust. any of them that you know of come in S. Steel. I guess Zinc plating will work for awhile. Any ideas, paint?

blybrook

If anyone needs different pictures, let me know and I'll try to get them posted within 24 hours. The ones I put up earlier were grabbed as I headed out the door and I realize they may be slightly confusing.

Having it lay flat has worked well for me. I had to play with the chain a little to get it right, and you can twist the chain to shorten if needed. I think I picked everything up at the local home depot.

number9

I like what you did and will prob do something like that as well. It'd be nice to do it all with one chain, like on the M105's. I'll have to look at that.

I can't wait to pick this trailer up, I've wanted one for a long time.

number9

Well I went with the D-ring mounts I posted a link to earlier. Think I'm gonna put 3 across the floor in front and maybe 3 across in the middle. I'll figure that out once I get the bikes in the trailer and see where they need to be.

Was lucky enough to catch Westy's classified ad for LED tail lights and picked up a set for this trailer. Those lights are sweet.

Ran across this tailgate step while browsing the etrailer website. Bed-Hopper Truck Tailgate Step Topline Accessory Step,Truck Bed Accessories TS2000-01. They have them in black too, but think I'd rather sped the $50 toward duplicating the step on the M105A3 I think. This may be of interest to others here though so figured I'd post the link.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks