• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A3 Finished my build...

lgdpt

Always enjoyed reading this forum, wanted to post my recent trailer completion. I had an old bantam trailer that was great for my needs but just a little small. I decided to sell it and go big...I tow with a 2500 diesel so size wasnt an issue. Purchased this beast in the high desert and started the process with cleaning the bearings and spindle...repacking and good to go there.

Then removed the OG wiring harness and lights...sold them on ebay and purchased all new wires, harness and lights from etrailer.

I had some 120 walled DOM bent to my specs and I welded in a roll bar. This is for my kayaks mainly... I can double decker them, or maybe eventually have a cover made and use it as a tent trailer...lots of possibilities.

I welded in a rear 2" receiver so I could add a swing away spare tire holder that also has a high lift jack holder.

Lastly I aquired a rear leg for it and installed that last weekend... Its done for now. Pretty happy with the result!

Last edited:

lgdpt

trailer.jpg
Don’t know why my original post disappeared….

Let me start again. I sold a bantam trailer I had because I needed more room. Picked this up in the high desert and right away took apart the hub, cleaned and repacked the bearings…

Had some 120 DOM bent to my specs and welded it together into a “roll bar.” This is mainly so I can double stack kayaks but I might have a cover made for it to turn into a tent.

I took off the OG wiring harness and lights and replaced all of it with brand new equipment from etrailer. Sold the OG equipment on ebay.

Welded on a rear 2” receiver so I could use a swing away spare holder I already had. It also holds a high lift. Did it right so the tailgate is still functional. Also made the chains “right” so the tailgate holds level.

Lastly just added a rear leg to lock this beast up so it can’t tip.

John Galt

Can you post more pics and specs of your roll bar and how you attached it to your trailer. Nice build.

What did you get for your lights/wiring?

Clean looking build. How is the tongue weight with the spare?

Last edited:

lgdpt

Tows great. I hardly know its back there. It might be a tad tail heavy so I had another spare I put in the front of the tub. I might add a tounge box that would probably balance it perfectly.

I dont plan on painting it, I like the way it is.

Lights, you can see in the last pic... just standard post mount lights with all new 4 post wiring kit from etrailer. I think the whole thing was under 40 bucks. Works perfect for me. I did this on my last one and never had any problems. The OG wires were pretty crunchy and I like easy. Nothing easier than what I did

I welded the perches on and then made sure to bolt them so they straddled the support beams underneath. I didnt get a chance to measure the dimensions yet.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an M101A3 and I notice a little sway at speed if its not loaded right. Strapping a spare on the tounge made a world of difference. I'm looking to rid myself of the HMMWV wheels and tires soon.