• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m101a3 Questions

So, I won an M101A3 from auction last week and now I'm waiting on the EUC to clear Battle Creek. In the meantime I have a few questions. On the Trailer axle would a set of old F350 rims with 31 or 33 inch tires work on it without looking way to goofy? Does it take the same top and bows that the A2 has if I need to replace or repair anything. For the recovery, it's at Portsmouth and I have a car hauler I was going to go get it with but it has 82 inches between the wheel wells and is an open centered trailer. I noticed that the track width in the manuals says it's 81.5. How true is that track width? Thanks for any help you all can give me and I'll go ahead and put some pictures of it up too.

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Top is the same between the two. I put CUCV wheels and tires on mine and it looked goofy as heck. Tires stuck out from the fenders too much. I plan to section 2" out of each side of the axle so that I can run a more conventional wheel and tire.

Gimpy and Sped, I would rather just go pull it home but it's about 7 hours away and I don't know what condition the tires are in or anything else like that. So therefore I'll just drag it back on a flatbed and figure things out with it when I get it back. It looks good in the pictures but you never can be sure. And yeah it sounds awful wide to me too but thats what the TM off of Jatonkas website says and the shipping data on GL says it's 84 wide so I don't know. If it won't fit I'll just end up going up with a set of magnet lights and 2 or 3 spare tires and hoping for the best.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've trailered a few trailers home. With tbis A3 I would just drag it. Couple of 8 lug spares and grease and roll. One thing though, check tire pressure, the are usually low.

Thanks for all the help guys. I have one more question and I want to confirm something though. I don't believe the one I won of GL has the rear landing leg but i'm going to want one for it. I found a source for m101 landing legs and they seem to be reasonably priced with an NSN of 2590-00-420-8929. EDIT: I ran the NSN and it came back as being for an a3 but the place that has them said they ran them and they were for a regular M101 and not an A3. Are there any visual differences in the landing legs for the older trailers and the newer trailers, also what is considered a fair price for them? Will these work with the A3s since from what I can tell they sit a couple inches higher than the A2s? Also, I've found a couple 92-97 f250 steel wheels that I can get fairly reasonable, these should work fine with an A3 shouldn't they?

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help guys. I have one more question and I want to confirm something though. I don't believe the one I won of GL has the rear landing leg but i'm going to want one for it. I found a source for m101 landing legs and they seem to be reasonably priced with an NSN of 2590-00-420-8929. Will these work with the A3s since from what I can tell they sit a couple inches higher than the A2s? Also, I've found a couple 92-97 f250 steel wheels that I can get fairly reasonable, these should work fine with an A3 shouldn't they?

Got a pic of the landing leg. I have what I believe is the older one on mine and it works fine.

I got the locking one one a m116 trailer I just won and might switch it out.

Attachments

Last edited:
Sundance, That's the exact landing leg I'm looking at. Looks to be the same pic too so you probably got it from the same place I'm looking at buying one from. I actually called them and they told me it was for the older 101 trailers and wouldn't work on the A3s which is why I asked the question, I'm assuming that it is the newer style leg?

It should fit as far as I know.

Does your trailer have holes for one?

IIRC I had to drill a fourth hole in my A3 to mount one from an A2. The one in your pic only has 3, 2 can't be seen.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks