• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m101a3 woes

bugs

got my 101a3 today, and noticed pulling it home It felt like the trailer was being tugged on as if the surge mechanism as very lose. stopping and taking off was banging pretty hard too. any input? thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a clue without an inspection. Could be loose, Could be a bad shock. Could be brakes dragging. Gonna have to look at it to solve the mystery

two.fiveM35

Have you tried putting a bolt thru the brake mechanism to lock out the surge brake? I have a M101a1 and when I pull it behind my Sububan it runs great don the road, but when I pull it behind my 4runner I know it's there, it pulls, pushed, bounces and everything else. What are you pulling it with?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The most common problem with these is the "shock" unit inside the surge assembly. It is a very specialized application made for Toledo/Balcrank who makes the surge assembly. This assembly is also used on civilian surge trailers.

Not too difficult to change. many threads on here. I purchased mine from Croft Trailer as that was the best price. They also have the nylon pivot bushings which I had 2 worn out.

The company maybe changed names as now it is listed as "Mendenhall"

Parts break down and individual listings here:
http://www.crofttrailer.com/mendenhall-brake-actuator-parts/?sort=featured&page=1

bugs

took apart today, ill check shock . also noticed broken piece that appears to be some kind of guard welded to the upper assembly of unit thank all for replys

svanhorn

put bolt through to stop surge brake from moving and still tugging back and fourth. only above 40mph though. now what?
Do you mean swaying side to side? If so, your tow vehicle is too light, and you will need to add weight to the front of the trailer to help eliminate that.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
check all the basics. parking brake cable releasing properly, fluid in cyl, pull drums and check wheel bearings and dragging brakes.

Mine had a good sway when I put 2000lb load but shocks were bad and that caused some of my sway.

2 that I have towed were so smooth most of the time I did not know they are behind me and will run down the intestate at 70 -75 easily.

M1911A1

I bought an M116A3 earlier this year and pulled it about 150 miles with my 06 GMC Sierra and it nearly beat me to death all the way home. After a quick inspection I found the dampening shock in the surge brake assembly was completely worn out. After replacing it and most all of the brake lines(they were bad too) it pulls like a dream.

That little shock is expensive so shop around for the best price. Good luck.

SteveKuhn

Depending on the tow vehicle, those neat looking Humvee tires are no treat. When I changed to civvies, the trailer pulled much better. Might be part of the problem.

Steve

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a new link to the parts break down on croft trailer:
http://www.crofttrailer.com/hydro-act-surge-brake-actuator-parts/

The replacement shock damper:
http://www.crofttrailer.com/1844-2-hydro-act-actuator-damper-shock/#page=page-1

Good Luck on your repairs blister13 :)
THANKS juanprado!

In case the link goes bad:

1844-2 --- Hydro-Act Actuator Damper Shock

Quantity Required per Actuator: 1

Price:
$53.95

Part No:
1844-2

Brand:
Hydro-Act

• Collapsed Length: 6.25" Center of Pin to Center of Pin
  • Extended Length: 8.125" Center of Pin to Center of Pin
  • 7/16" Pin hole diameter on both sides of damper

ALSO:

I just bought one at a local trailer and parts store ($66 plus tax). This one is stamped:

Gabriel
1844-2

This came up on Google Search as a good part number at eTrailers.com for Toledo Brake Actuators

AND FINALLY

The old one was a Monroe with the numbers "47530" and "C144X3", neither of which came up good in a Google search...

I have another problem:
009_edit.jpg

Last edited: