• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1025 - What year was this model produced?

MudmanHMMWV

I was wondering where exactly this fell when it came to a civilian being able to find one? I have seen a few M998's and some others that I'm not so sure about, but I this is the particular model I have been looking for. So any way you all can help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
it's easy to add the parts to a M998 to make it into a M1025, but if you do a quick & easy job, you will leave tell tale signs of the M998. Post up pics, we can go from there....

Haasino

Oh, I am still looking around for one. I can't seem to find a slant back, they are all soft top or open. It's rather irritating.
The reason behind that, from what I've learned, is because the majority of civilian-owned Humvees out there for sale are from the late '90s USMC auctions in Barstow and Atlanta... 98% of those auctioned vehicles were 1986-1987 M998s... soft-tops. There were a few "rare" models released... some M1045s and M1044s from what I've seen; if you search here on the site, you'll find some old threads where folks bought some.

The problem seems to be that it's very rare to find a true M1026/44/45 with the weapon/ammo mounts in the rear and the armor plating... so folks who bought the few USMC ones wanted to restore them and hang on to them. Most of the slant-backs you see out there are 998s that are just partially mocked up to look like 1025s or 1026s... they don't actually have the armor plating or weapon/ammo mounts inside.

There are still authentic M1025/26/44/45 series trucks that come up for sale if you get lucky... I got a 1991 M1026 last year that was cannibalized by it's Army Reserve unit, then sold off as a rolling chassis. It had to be rebuilt, but the frame and chassis was original and still had the armor plating and weapon/ammo mounts.

Or your other option is to buy a 998 and mock it up... if you're just wanting the 1025 look and don't care what the data plate says.

MudmanHMMWV

@Haasino

That looks to be what I will end up doing, though I'm not so worried about the armor. The weapons mounts aren't that important either, just as long as it has the turntable on top even if it is lacking a gun mount.

I have looked around and found people selling kits to make one a slant back but do you know anyone who has done this as of yet? I keep hearing how it leaks but at the same time I am of the thinking that if it's done correctly it won't. Thanks for the information though.

nattieleather

It will leak no matter what.
Slant backs leak period.
Some more than others but they will leak.
BH
Another Murphys Law on MV Ownership....

Like Law #1 You will spend more time under it than you will driving it. :lol:
Rule #2 All MVs leak during rain storms and the water will find the drivers right foot!
Law #3 All MVs mark their territory
and now I have Law #4... :)

Haasino

@Haasino

That looks to be what I will end up doing, though I'm not so worried about the armor. The weapons mounts aren't that important either, just as long as it has the turntable on top even if it is lacking a gun mount.

I have looked around and found people selling kits to make one a slant back but do you know anyone who has done this as of yet? I keep hearing how it leaks but at the same time I am of the thinking that if it's done correctly it won't. Thanks for the information though.
If you just want the slantback look, then that's the best way to go. Honestly, I've got no use for the weapons/ammo mounts or armor plating in my M1026, but we're just keeping that all in there because they're factory-installed hardware and keep the truck authentic.

As far as leaking... as others have said, yes, they leak. I've even got one of the later-model saw-tooth turrets in my M1026 that's supposed to leak less than the older model ones, but it still leaks in the rain. Then again, so does the entire vehicle... it's not a wet weather pleasure vehicle, heh.

MudmanHMMWV

Looks like I am going to have a good bit of things to look in on then. Yay, just more things to add to my todo list once though now with the new additions it looks like I'm going to have to put it on hold, at least until I get back from boot camp. What a kill joy.

It doesnt matter which model comes with what, I spent oer 20 years in the Army and as soon as we received a vehicle we jerry rigged, wired up, and removed or replaced as needed.

This is what we had in Iraq:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks