• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1028,14 bolt disc brake conversion w/ el dorado calipers

hokie8358

trying a new project on my m1028 86 model! i am in the middle of still doing the crossover steering and thought why not shoot to the back end and start my disc brake conversion! i need one question answered, i ve got mixed opinions and reviews on the 78 el dorado caddy rear calipers with the E- brake hook up. i've heard good and bad when bleeding them and also to the way the e-brake lever works. or should i just eliminate the e-brake cable and go with the 3/4 ton chevy front 4x4 calipers, which are direct bolt in with no e-brake cable. also if anyone has used the caddy calipers, how do you get the chevy 14 bolt 1 ton brake cable to mat up to the caddy e brake lever? will be looking for ideas and the best direction to take on this issue? thanks

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was looking at this set up.Chevy Dana 60 14 bolt cucv military 1ton axles 456 gear, Take offs and professionally rebuilt. I called the guy in Tennessee and we talked for a while. He has posi track or limited slip front drive axles. For an every day driver city and country Id like to loose the existing posi track.

Attachments

Go with a Detroit E locker in the front... acts like an open carrier for city driving, but at the flip of a switch..... instant locker... same as ARB locker, but no extra hassles with air lines and tank, compressor, etc. Ask me how i know.....

Im the same as you, on the fence still ... regarding the Eldorado brakes or just 3/4 fronts... and either a line lock, or a driveline brake... ( but that wont do any good in the event i have a rear driveshaft failure)...

Last edited:

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used the ElDorado calipers on my rear disc brake conversion http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/52121-rear-disc-brakes.html

Everything worked great and fit perfectly. The emergency brakes work well and hold without slipping. I would not advise using other calipers without the E-brake, because if you were to need to park on a steep incline, you would be relying totally on the transmission and transfer case gears to hold the weight of the truck on the hill. Just my 2 cents.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One caution on the Caddy calipers, they don't like mud. If you go thrashing in the mud take the time to rinse them thoroughly and use the E-Brake often to prevent them from sticking.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks