• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 498 mile road trip

WARWAG

Well I drove my M1028 from Ely Nevada to Prescott Arizona. My camera unfortunately did not make it into my bag.:mad: We headed out of Ely at about 7 pm. We stopped about every two hours and checked the vehicle. She did very well. I had about 1500 lbs of heavy gauge wire mesh, T posts and metal gates for our new property in AZ in the bed of the truck. The Extra weight really helped out with the ride quality! I had installed earlier this year a set of GoodYear Wrangler II tires. They were not balanced and you could tell. They really sucked at anything below 30 MPH but did ok at 60 MPH. Just outside of Las Vegas I heard a small thwack under my truck. The noise reminded me of the time I lost a fan belt on another truck years earlier. About the time I thought that my GEN 2 light came on. I pulled over in a small town and sure enough GEN 2 was missing her belt. I continued on. We spent the night in Kingman Arizona since it was 4 am (az time 3am nv time). The next morning I was up at 7 and went and walked the dog. As I past by my truck I could see the tell tale sign of something leaking under my truck. The transmission pan had a slight leak. I also found a very small dollar size spot on the parking lot under my fuel pump. The fuel pump was leaking. After we were all set and ready to go I sent my wife and kids ahead in our Dodge and I went to Napa. I didnt want my family following me going 60 when the speed limit was 75 and everyone would be doing 85 plus (and they were). After a few minutes in Napa I had a new belt. 5 minutes in the parking lot had the belt installed and the trans pan tightened up. The pump, well its still leaking. Off I went and spent the next hour driving with my flashers on. I even had Big Rigs blowing by me except on the hills. I made it to Prescott. :driver:

Miles travelled: 498
Average MPG: 15.77
Average RPM: 2707
Average speed 60 MPH

ISSUES: Lost a fan belt for GEN 2. Transmission pan bolts loosened up. Fuel pump developed a leak.

Attachments

Abbylind

My lift pump started leaking too. Did the contortion routine and changed it out...no more leak! If I have to do it again...I'm putting in an electric one....

sandcobra164

60 mph for 500 miles? That's awesome. I haven't done the calculations but I generally run mine at about 50 mph and it sounds pretty high strung with an occasional run to 55 mph or so. How fast can they run on the governor (3,600 rpm's or so?) assuming stock tires and 4.56 gears? Glad your trip went mostly issue free and you made it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks