• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1028 cold

Dave87

Ok here is the problem, my truck will not warm up to an operating temp I'd like to see. I bought the truck drove it for two weeks found it didn't get very warm like 130 deg. So to fix the problem I purchased a hockey Puck thermostat, 195 if I remember correctly. It seemed. To warm up more in 80 deg weather but now that its 30 it wont warm up at all. Now I put cardboard in front of grill and ill let it warm up to 130 and drive somewhere, it cools down. I'm a bit lost. Any help would be appreciated.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the same problem with my 82 K20 with a 6.2 I have replaced thermostats and it still ran cold. I installed a ball valve in the heater hose return to the rad. To throttle back the flow. The engine then warmed right up to 180. Before that i froze by butt off in cold weather.

islandguydon

Holland Mi, I would do a flush and fill of the radiator fluid and replace the thermostat with an OEM from the dealership. Mine from Hostler GMC cost $59.99 and I have had no problems since. The Chinese makes them and auto zone sells these cheap ones that work when they want to. Plus the flush will help with the heater core. Thats my 2 cents. BTW Nice truck......[thumbzup]

Dave87

I did a flush and the thermostat wasn't cheap but maybe I didn't spend enough. Thanks for the advice. I really don't wanna take it all apart cus I just did it and I kills me to do stuff over and over. Maybe next weekend I'm camping this weekend so the cardboard in front of radiator with have to do for now.

det rebel

stupid question but have you checked to make sure the gauge is right best way would be to use a Ir thermometer ( non contact ) i have had that problem to but mine was the other way got hot in like 20 sec

Dave87

Islandguydon I'm assuming the nice truck was for me, thank you. I would love to get all the Michigan guys together for a u.p. run or something. Anyway Thanks again.

Dave87

I didn't do the ir check, I have one at work I should bring that home. I didn't think of that, good call. I did the hand test. One hand on the radiator hose, not super hot but hotish.

rlwm211

The Military utilized a winter front to reduce the amount of cold air entering the radiator so the engine would operate at the proper temperature.

The diesel engine works best when the temperature is at the design temperature for operation namely around 195 degrees and even hotter.

NOS winter fronts are available but hard to find. Jatonka has sold a bunch of his reproduction winter fronts to folks with this problem.

Here is the link if you want to see one .

WWW.jatonkam35s.com

Dave87

Yea the winter front is on my wish list. Its not at the top cus I don't drive my truck in the winter. Ill get one maybe next year I know theyre not to expensive, just need to take the time and order one up. The cardboard was a cheap experiment. I have the whole front covered and the truck will reach 140 I think. Thanks for the link. I love the help I get here.:smile: