• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 Gen 1 Issue

Unclewally

I've been trying to figure this out by looking at the TM's and Parts Diagrams, but I have been unsuccessful so far.

I have an M1028. It was not heating, and I diagnosed it to need head gaskets. It took several weeks, but I finally got it back together after 3+ weeks. As it always seams, whenever you finish a project that are left over parts. 2 bolts and 1 wire (maybe 8" long - looks to be a ground).

I had some help with dissassembly, so I'm pretty sure I did not remove the wire. I'm usually good at remembering where everything came from, but at my age, I might be losing it a little.

Anywho...

The Gen 1 light will not come on. The truck would start and run fine, so I didn't think anything of it at first (this is my first Gen problem that I've had with this truck - lucky I guess).

After reading through a ton of stuff, I believe this 8" long black wire belongs on the ground side of the drivers side alternator (small stud on alternator to ground on the engine).

Can anyone verify this to be correct?

I will check some other things when I get it back home tonight and into the heated shop.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

cucvrus

The left over wire is the isolated ground wire from the left Gen 1 alternator. It is bolted on back of the alternator ground stud and runs to the intake stud in the cross over for the thermostat. Check it out and report back.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Post one of the wire.

Sounds like it’s correct, but given these trucks past life, who knows.

cucvrus

Should be an M6 stud with a nut on back of the alternator. I use a battery cable when I replace mine. I do excessive grounding. It helps. I bought a truck that had electrical issues and would not start. I replaced the starter and it still did nothing. It had the ground cable missing from the engine and had melted the light braided ground wire on the right back side of the engine. I never realized how well isolated the engine is in a vehicle. I seen a few guys hook the ground clamp on the tail pipe to weld on the frame. Poor results happened. Good Luck. Happy Holidays. Looking forward to a positive report.

Unclewally

That was exactly the problem....

Five minutes to put the wire in. Jump the front batt, and walla!

Charged the battery overnight and it works like a champ....

thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks