• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 Generator questions

Tongloong

I bought a M1028 last week and the generator /welder was gutted from the back. I could use some guidance from those wise on these things. Would it be better to use the space for a newer stand alone engine driven generator/welder? If so, which one? (NP208, no PTO)

Should I replace the original setup? There is one for sale not far from me but he wants $1500 for it and doesn't know if it works.

Has the technology changed so much that it doesn't make sense to pay a premium to fix something that should be upgraded?

I don't even know where to begin looking. I can't find it in a TM and don't know the nomenclature to properly search for the generator. Thanks in advance

Keith_J

This is a 1028 with the maintenance body on the back? That would be the old Dodge contact maintenance vehicles. It had a Hobart welder driven by a Wisconsin engine.
Retrofit to the M1031 style PTO driven unit is a lot of work plus a good bit of oddball parts. Put a Thunderbolt Miller in it and don't look back. If the PTO driven unit is desired, there should be complete take offs available. It is a great generator, just a cobbled system.