• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 glow plug question

mynewtoy

For starters I purchased this truck through a friend that worked on a Naval Base. When I got the truck it had a starter button and was also beening started with either.After reading some threads I repaired the starter issue by replacing the starter relay and the either issue by installing new Glow plugs and replacing the the glow plug card with a used card I had from a rust free military cab I had purchased a while ago. The truck was great for 2 years but now its giving me fits to get it started. I removed one of the glow plugs and attached a ground wire to it and turned the key on, the wait light comes on and after a while the relay under the hood clicks during this time the glow plug turned red from the tip almost to the end of the plug my question is as soon as the relay clicked the glow plug started to cool and did not stay glowing red which I think is a problem I would think the glow plug should have stayed glowing until after the truuck had started is this true? If so does that mean the glow plug card is bad again? Both batteries are fully charged and testing fine.
Thanks in advance for any input

mynewtoy

Have you followed the test procedure in the TM ?
No I haven't I was hoping for a quick answer? All I need to know is Are the glow plugs suspose to keep glowing after the relay under hood clicks and wait light goes out? Because mine do not. As soon as the relay clicks mine start to cool? And can this be caused by a bad card? If no one can help I certainly will follow the procedure in the TM but I don't have a lot of spare reading time.
Thanks Again

mynewtoy

Every one thank you for the help the videos were a great. Update : I took a glow plug card out of my good low mileage truck and installed it in this truck turned the key waited for the wait light to go out and it fired right over. I was reluctant to do this for fear it would ruin my known good card but I took the chance and all is well. I ordered one from glowplugcards.com should have it with in a week. I was thrilled to give the business to an American Veteran.My father is an Air Force Vet. as I get older I truly appreciate the sacrifices our Veterans made for my freedom I wish my dad would have insisted I enlist I missed out. THANK YOU AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP AND YOUR SERVICE!!!!! GOD BLESS AMERICA AND GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The glow plugs are suppose to turn off before you crank the engine. That is why the wait light tells you to wait. They will "after glow" if needed while the engine is running.

The GP testing section in the TM 9-2320-289-20 is only a page and a half. Not much to it.

Last edited:

sierrajcharlie

The glow plugs are suppose to turn off before you crank the engine. That is why the wait light tells you to wait. They will "after glow" if needed while the engine is running.

The GP testing section in the TM 9-2320-289-20 is only a page and a half. Not much to it.
A quick question. If you watch Antennaclimbers video in the GP Operation sticky. You see the wait light go out, he hits the switch to simulate starting the rig. If you look at the gp's they show power still being supplied during the start cycle.

I have a voltmeter on the load side of my gp relay. It shows when the wait light goes out, power still being supplied to the gp's, even while starting the rig. It will drop out after about 30 seconds, whether or not if the rig is running. I've done the resistor bypass awhile ago. I'm using the original gp controller card that was in the rig. Is this correct or incorrect operation?

Thanks for any insight!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, that's the correct operation.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks