• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1028 locker

scrambled

"Everything I have read on the CJ10 says the 70 has a GovLock. Two of the four I
have had were open differential 70s. The last two have some sort of locker in
them but I have not been inside. One spins like a limited slip, the other acts
open like a GovLock but locks up with wheel spin. I posted a reply to a Dana 70
question on Steel Soldiers and of course the know it all ferrys come out of the
wood work to amaze me with the supperior level of useless knowledge. According
the Einstein, no Dana 70 ever had a GovLock, no such thing and I am not worthy
to be in the same discussion thread as he. I am going to dig into one of mine
this weekend just to see what's in there but I'd like to know what you guys have
seen. If you have a photo of a GovLock in your 70, may I see it?"

Scott,
I think it is "fairies" not "ferrys".

rnd-motorsports

Im not saying that the trucks you had ,had or didnt have a dana 70 but the cj10 was built from 1981 threw 85 and used the dana 44 front and back as standard axles and a dana 60 rear was the only option to id any dana axle is easy they stamp the model number in the housing of all dana axles ever made! its in the lower right if you look at the rearend cover. also to help anybody id them look here http://www.onandoffroad4wheeldrive.com/dana_axle_ident.htm

Gov lock is a gm trade name and not used by another manufactur.

12vctd

"Everything I have read on the CJ10 says the 70 has a GovLock. Two of the four I
have had were open differential 70s. The last two have some sort of locker in
them but I have not been inside. One spins like a limited slip, the other acts
open like a GovLock but locks up with wheel spin. I posted a reply to a Dana 70
question on Steel Soldiers and of course the know it all ferrys come out of the
wood work to amaze me with the supperior level of useless knowledge. According
the Einstein, no Dana 70 ever had a GovLock, no such thing and I am not worthy
to be in the same discussion thread as he. I am going to dig into one of mine
this weekend just to see what's in there but I'd like to know what you guys have
seen. If you have a photo of a GovLock in your 70, may I see it?"

So we are being quoted for having usless knowledge but we are going off experience working on vehicles not reading out of a book or forum. Show me a Dana 70 with a GM Gov lock and I will gladly eat my words. Plus I do not see how refering a a Jeep compares to the orignal ?'s about a M1028. My question for the all knowing is have you ever even had the diffcover off a Dana 70 let alone rebuilt one? Sounds like from your post you have not. Whe you open your diff on you gov lock Dana 70 you will probably find http://www2.dana.com/pdf/5315-3.pdf something that looks like this. Which is a Power-Lok not a gov lock.

Last edited:

ODdave

DrJekl, can you do me a favor?

on your axle tube (usualy on the pass side) there will be 6 numbers and a -1 or -2. (dont worry about the first set they are just a date code) The six #'s will be 605242 tell me wether you have a 1 or 2

1=Pwr-loc
2=standard

either way you will have 4.88 gears

sorry, you will not find a gov-loc

Last edited:

johnsr

now look what i started. i just wanted som info on my m1028, as this is my first mv. i know that there is an A1, A2, and and A3 modle. so i should have a detroit locker in the rear of my truck? also i have drw and a np208 transfercase, this would make it an A3? where can i get a good used detroit locker for my dana 70.

rnd-motorsports

you will need to know the spline count of the axles but there are a few on ebay now unless you buy new not sure of any will keep my eyes open for you ! check out ebay look for dana70 detriot locker

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an M1028A2 that was converted from an M1028 by the military (data plate on the door jam says this). It DOES NOT have a locker in the rear. A friend, who is also on SteelSoldiers, had an M1028A2...his was missing the locker, too. Apparently, some of them were produced WITHOUT lockers...by the military. Not sure the reason.