• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 missing something...

Gojo1812

I'm looking at buying a M1028. The seller told me its hard to start because it only has one alternator. He advised the truck was some sort of command or radio truck and had a generator under the hood instead of a second alternator. Ive searched for info about it and havent found anything that looks like the bracket he sent me a picture of. Can someone tell me whats missing, and how to fix it before I buy this truck? This is the only engine pic he sent me, i'm assumeing the alternator is on the drivers side...

I've never posted a new thread or attached a pic so hopefully this works....

Attachments

dependable

Have not seen that bracket before. It may be for an aftermarket AC. It should not be hard to buy the alternator and mounts to convert back to 2 alternators. Truck should not be hard to start though, even if it was (properly)converted to 12v, 1 alternator system. You should probably be a little wary & ask for some more pictures.

Gojo1812

The seller bought the truck like this from the gov. auction, so its not converted to 12v as far as I can figure. I really don't think the military would install ac, and the bracket has flush mounting allen bolts holding it to the heads. I thought maybe it had 2 alternators and some kind of generator that had a clearance issue with regular bolt heads sticking out. The seller did say it runs and drives great but its hard to start because of the alternator that's missing. I'm going to get some more pics before I drive 6 hours to buy this truck...

86m1028

look around for more clues on the truck.
Im betting aftermarket a/c.
I bought a blazer with a simular bracket that was for a/c but it was gas.

MarcusOReallyus

There was no generator in the stock config, as far as I know. It should have had two alternators, one for each battery. The batteries run in series to the starter, making it a 24v starting system. 24v is also fed to the glow plug system. The rest of the truck (lights, dash, etc.) is 12v.

If it's only got one alternator, it's not stock. I'd be very careful...

MarcusOReallyus

By the way, don't assume the mililtary would not have done any modifications. Sometimes reserve outfits will get creative. OR, the guy may simply be lying.

ryan77

Probably ac i have seen several ac cucv's on gl straight from the military! There also was a 1028 on gl a couple months back with a alt and a 24 volt generator on it! Who knows what that was!!

Scarecrow1

If the guy who is selling it can't get it right then it may be clue to be very careful. I know they have come with a/c units on them but 12 volt just doesn't sound right at all. Better to pass than to just buy someone else's problems.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless you are getting it cheap....:wink:..

What are your mechanical/electrical skills? I myself would not be afraid of a project, just as long as I got a good price for it. Doesn't take much to get it back to stock and figure out the hard starting issue. The cost may be high, so that is a reason for buying cheap.

Here is what I see in the single picture

Attachments

Last edited:

scottladdy

This may come as a surprise to some! But when people sell used trucks they some times lie!!!
Not if they put it on the internet! I read that on the internet! roflrofl

I also read this somewhere: Caveat emptor!

Might I recommend seeing if there is a vehicle inspection service offered in the sellers area? May be worth the investment if you are concerned. Of course, vetting the inspector to ensure that they understand the few CUCV idiosyncrasies would be advisable as well.

MarcusOReallyus

Unless you are getting it cheap....:wink:..

What are your mechanical/electrical skills? I myself would not be afraid of a project, just as long as I got a good price for it. Doesn't take much to get it back to stock and figure out the hard starting issue. The cost may be high, so that is a reason for buying cheap.

Here is what I see in the single picture

Agreed. It's quite possible the seller is honestly telling what he knows, and that it was modified by the miltary.

It's also possible the seller is lying.

Either way, just make sure you know what you're getting and that you are leaving enough room in the purchase price to buy some parts and maybe some labor, if you aren't planning to do the work yourself.

I mean, if the guy will take $500 for it, who cares if you need a new starter and a couple of alternators? :beer:

Pay on the front end,or pay on the back end, just don't pay on both ends!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks