• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 price check

chesapeake

I know a lady with two M1028s for sale

1986 with 38,000 miles. No rust straight body, interior in great shape, new drive shaft, me harmonic balance and new fluids for $6k

1984 with 90k miles. Interior has a ripped seat ( not too bad), new drive shaft, new fluids. No rust straight body for $4k

In my opinion the 1984 has a cleaner looking engine and running gear.

Should 90k miles scare me off? How are they priced in y'all's opinions. High low right on

Thanks

Skinny

Who cares about what they are worth. A woman that owns two M1028's...you marry!!!

If both are pretty much the same condition minus the mileage, go with what fits your budget the best. Don't overspend if you plan on getting it home and doing a bunch of mods to it. Don't forget to budget for maintenance items.

chesapeake

She owns a working ranch too!!! The only mods I was going to do were the doghead relay, gp bypass. a small lift and wheels and tires. Maybe other essential mods people suggest. The mileage only concerns me because IF the 6.2s are not know for high mileage then I don't want to get one with a lot on it.

Chances are the mileage isn't correct. The Chevy speedos/odometers/fuel gauges are known for not working, so the Mil. would swap them out a lot. The documents the previous owner of my 1009 got when he bought it from auction said it had 26k. But he swapped in a different cluster, that one had 44k (and didn't work right) I swapped in another that has 92k.

Engine life depends on maintenance and how it's been used/abused...unfortunately two things you have no way of knowing for sure. If the trucks look in good shape it's a safe bet they were treated fairly well.
It's not uncommon to see 6.2's over 200-250k mi. Some have reportedly gotten over 600k.

It's also a bonus to get them from a civilian owner vs gov liq/auction... Chances are they have done maintenance work on them.

Skinny

I agree on the odometer...pay no attention to it. Look at things like seatbelts, brake pedals, door panels and all other major points of wear. Nothing says an overworked truck like a brake pedal worn down to the metal on the corner.

Remember...a replacement 6.2 isn't exactly overwhelmingly expensive. I'd be more concerned with replacement of more expensive hard parts and frame/body condition. Who likes chasing rust and rattles...

chesapeake

I had another truck offered to me yesterday. It has a straight body, good paint, no rust on the body, surface rust underneath, 205 TC and a lot miles. It has had some work done to it with all the paper work. I'm thinking this might be it

GPrez

Who cares about what they are worth. A woman that owns two M1028's...you marry!!!
That's funny and true.

Personally I think both are more than I would pay, but I would need to see and drive them to give you an accurate assessment. In the end they are worth what you are willing to pay.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Winston, GA huh? I'm not that far from you. Price was a little high on the first examples you listed IMHO.

chesapeake

That's funny and true.

Personally I think both are more than I would pay, but I would need to see and drive them to give you an accurate assessment. In the end they are worth what you are willing to pay.
I am waiting on a few more pictures from the truck I was offered saturday. I spoke with him yesterday and I believe it is the one I am going to get. The "worth" part to me is is based more on it being mechanically sound and not rusted out. At the same time, I don't want to be taken for ride. Boats and firearms, I am good at knowing values, CUCVs not so much

CUCVSRK

If both are pretty much the same condition minus the mileage, go with what fits your budget the best. Don't overspend if you plan on getting it home and doing a bunch of mods to it. Don't forget to budget for maintenance items.
That seems resionable maybe a little low for what your describing. As Skinny said YOU MARRY!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks