• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 shuddering and other possible problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

1028Rider

For the past month, when I roll to a stop sign or street light, when I press on the brakes very hard the truck will shudder (shake, loose RPM's or idle) basically it feels like a little earthquake inside of the truck and it will almost die. The truck idles fine when it is at a stop and seems to be functioning quite well. A couple weeks ago I drove down to Denver from Boulder, once I got there I loaded up a new bike into the bed (took about 20 minutes) when I went to start it to drive it back the truck would not start it just kept turning over and over. Finally I was able to get the truck to start and carefully made it back home. I have not had this problem since, although the shuddering problem still exists and seems to be worse in the morning and then not too apparent in the evening after it has been driven all day. When the truck would not start in Denver, one of the generator lights came on (truck has two generators) and then shut off after the truck started running again but I thought that was odd and could potentially be the reason for this problem. I have been told it could be a number of things but I really have no clue at this point and can not find a mechanic to help me ANYWHERE!!!

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

Thanks everyone!
-Doug
(310) 480-4284

Last edited by a moderator:

Barrman

Doug,
I assume you have a M1008? The best thing you can do is click on the yellowish "CUCV" at the top of this page right before your thread title. That will get you to the CUCV forum. The very top post is a sticky called CUCV FAQ. Open that and then open, download and print out all the manuals for the truck. The manual ending with -20 has a huge trouble shooting section in chapter 2. Look through each and every one and see if your troubles are mentioned and then follow the steps to further diagnos and then fix.

Your shudder on stopping. Does it seem like the transmission isn't releasing or is it totally brake related? Your brake booster is powered by the power steering pump. If your booster is stopping the fluid flow, the pump could drag the engine down some, but the belt would start to slip before it killed the engine. We really need more information on that problem.

Could also be grease or oil on your rear brakes that have leaked out of your rear axle.

Diesel engines are great. Especialy the really simple ones in the CUCV. 1 wire turns the engine on and off. It is the pink wire on top of the injection pump. If you turn your key on and that wire has power, then the truck should start with just a second or so of starter applied to a warmed up engine. Either you are not getting power to the pink wire or a distant possiblity is the solenoid inside the pump is faulty. The -20 walks you through how to test that.

That being written, if you have a fuel leak on one of the pressure or return lines between the lift pump, filter and IP. Fuel could be leaking out of the pump. Check all your hoses, lines and fittings for leaks. Again, the -20 takes you through that search. Were you parked nose down at a good angle at the bike shop? A lot of people report hard starting problems in that situation.

Both of your ALT lights should come on when you turn the key on. They will turn off upon starting. If one of them is on, your volt meter is still in the yellow and you rev it just a bit. The light should go out as the volt meter jumps up into the green. The -10 manual tells you about that.

I keep bringing the manuals up because the military spent a good bit of our money making very easy to read, very thurough manuals to cover just about any situation. Find them, download them, read them and if you have the paper, print them. Even after you fix all of your current problems, keep reading and study them. I watch TV with a TM for one of my trucks in my lap most all the time. You never know when you might need to know something written out in them. I also keep a -20 for each of my trucks in the truck so I will always have it with me. I will take that over tools just about anytime because tools can be found, borrowed, improvised and bought just about anywhere. Knowledge of these trucks isn't so easy to find.

Hope this helped some.

Last edited:

JAsher45

I agree it could be a wide arrange of problems. read the manuals to see what it could be. I am a military instructor and use these daily for maintenance instruction. if you READ them you can find the answers. :deadhorse:

1028Rider

I dont know much about working on truck/vehicles but I will definitely look into the manuals and see if I can't figure this out myself... Thanks so much for all your advice/help Barrman

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since you are not broke down on the side of the road and in desperate need of help, I am going to change the title of this thread. Please reserve the Dramatic titles to actual emergency situations.

Also, please use a title that actually describes the thread. It helps.

1028Rider

Im leaving tomorrow to drive 400 miles to Wyoming. Doesnt look like I will be able to do this now... Why dont you STAY out of people's personal lives. If I was not desperate for help I would not have described the problem as I did. Secondly I can't imagine ANYONE sitting on the side of the road and posting a question about their car/truck on this forum, that is a stupid comment to make. Thank you so much!

gunboy1656

Seeing as you are new, you may wish to read more of the threads, there are a bunch of people who asked for help on here while stuck on the side of the road, so calm down. Usually when someone posts HELP, URGENT or any one of those words, that is an indicator.

Your still at home, so you can change plans as needed, those that are stuck road side can;t change their plans, they are there.

As for your questions, you already have the answers I would give, so go out try them and hope it gets figured out

Rant over...

91W350

You really should not go spouting off to Doghead like that if you really need help. He is very knowledgeable in the CUCV trucks and will go out of his way to help a member. He is trying to keep the forums from being polluted by attention getting threads. There are many of us here that would be glad to help you..... but do not walk in and make a big scene or you may find yourself looking for help elsewhere. A little respect will carry you a long ways. I think I would encourage you to find another way to make your 400 mile run if your truck is going on strike.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This thread is a duplicate of this post by you. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/664042-post33.html

Posting the same thing in multiple threads or forums is what we call "cross-posting". It is not allowed.

When you signed up recently, you agreed to follow our rules, yet you did not include your state in your personal info.

I suggest you take a few minutes and re-read the rules. Then, try to follow them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.