• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 spin on filter change

Ronbo

I just thought I'd show a few pictures of what I did today on the 1028.
I installed an electric fuel pump and pre-filter . ( I didn't take pictures if this). Then when running the wires for the pump I re-taped the harness and added some wire loom,
Then moved to the Filter . Once the filter assembly was removed I taped and wired loomed that side ( Just cleaned everything up... )
I mounted the new filter adapter to the existing filter adapter .. I also removed( mine had ) the rubber hose from the filter to the IP .. I made a new line out of metal fuel line and put a rubber hose over it for protection ( in case it was to rub some place - but its not) . I double hose clamped everywhere I could.
This weekend will be time to bleed the system and see if she'll run..

Attachments

nattieleather

Looks good! I don't see any reason you should be able to bleed it and make it go varoom! Why GM didn't go with a spin on filter in the first place is a mistery to me.

Ronbo

No , No heater .. I wasn't sure how or If i need it.. I'm sure someone makes a12v wrap a round heater .. any advise? Thanks
PS I should say That I read about a lot of people making an electric fuel pump heat shield that bolts to the frame . An easy quick way is to use an old license plate . the holes nearly line up to the one in the frame and it bends in a perfect spot under the numbers . just spray black in needed .. and it wont rust....Cheers

M1008driver

The diesel shop told me if I use additives when I refuel I will not need the heater and mine is removed. It is in my junk box. I have some Diesel 911 behind the seat just in case.

OL AG '89

Hey Ronbo,

I'm thinking you heard OIL not gas........
I typically dump a quart of oil in the tank about every 2 or 3 fillups....

I'm thinkin it helps with the IP lubrication..... because of new ULSD.

M1008driver

A dude told me to add a quart of gas to the tank full .. Thinks this is correct?
Never add gas to a diesel engine unless you want a to buy new engine. The best thing is to use those additives like Diesel Treat and others. I read DT was rated highly even though I switched and will be going back the next purchase. It also is an anti-gel.

Ronbo

Well I'm glad I never tried it.. Dude did tell me gas.. said he used it up north in the winter . maybe he was a prankster .. ? Hoping I would .
See thats why I let you guys hang out with me on here:) I give you challenging things to think about :)
Cheers .Me