• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 stalled out & won't restart.

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alright, I figured my truck needed some love since it'd been sitting for a couple weeks so I decided to take her for a spin. It fired right up & I drove around for about 30 minutes or so. I stopped 2-3 places, shut it off & it fired back up no problem. About a mile from the house I thought it was acting a little strange. When I mashed the clutch to change gears it seemed like the rpm was slow to drop back down to idle. As I turned into my driveway I mashed the clutch again & it shut off just like you turned the key back. I coasted on in the yard & spun it over, nothing. Then I gave it about half throttle & spun it again & it did fire up & run for maybe 10 seconds or so. It ran real rough & quickly died again. After that nothing, not ever a sputter. I thought maybe I'd run out of fuel because my gauge was on 1/8 but that was wishful thinking. I put 5 gallons of diesel in it, cracked the bleeder valve on the fuel filter & spun it & immediately had a good stream coming out. Then I cracked the metal line at one of my injectors & spun it & had fuel seeping out there. Not a ton of fuel but the line wasn't all the way off either just broke loose & backed off about one turn. I'm thinking injection pump but man they are expensive these days & I'd hate to buy one & it not fix the truck. Is there anything else I need to be checking? Obviously I'm getting some fuel at the injectors but I've been told if the pressure is low the injectors won't fire. I've got no way to check pressure on the high pressure side of the pump. So what do yall think? I'm by no means a diesel mechanic. Just a guy that likes old Chevys.

Also I do have 12v at the fuel shut off solenoid & it clicks when I connect & disconnect the wire.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
When is the last time you changed fuel filters?
When was the last time you looked at a fuel sample from the tank?

I am not a truck guy, but diesel engines are diesel engines. Plugged fuel system means not enough fuel at the IP. Try unhooking all the IP lines to the jugs, crank it over a bit. Then tighten them all back up but one, farthest from the IP, and see if you can clear the air from the lines by cranking the engine. But first filters. Take them out of the problem equation.

nyoffroad

Well, it needs 3 things to run, fuel air and heat, you know you had all three because it was running so what interrupted what? I don't see the engine suddenly getting so cold the fuel wouldn't light off so the heat portion is out.
Air flow, I also doubt that the air flow got interrupted and choked out the engine, but I'd still look at the filter.

Fuel, the most likely culprit! Seems every time you pushed in the clutch there was a problem, I would be looking to see if there is any wiring rubbing on a clutch linkage or getting pinched somewhere.
Just my $.02, take it for what its worth, good luck.

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When is the last time you changed fuel filters?
When was the last time you looked at a fuel sample from the tank?

I am not a truck guy, but diesel engines are diesel engines. Plugged fuel system means not enough fuel at the IP. Try unhooking all the IP lines to the jugs, crank it over a bit. Then tighten them all back up but one, farthest from the IP, and see if you can clear the air from the lines by cranking the engine. But first filters. Take them out of the problem equation.
The filter is pretty new & shouldn't be clogged unless there is some really bad stuff coming outa my tank. I haven't pulled a fuel sample but definitely will.

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, it needs 3 things to run, fuel air and heat, you know you had all three because it was running so what interrupted what? I don't see the engine suddenly getting so cold the fuel wouldn't light off so the heat portion is out.
Air flow, I also doubt that the air flow got interrupted and choked out the engine, but I'd still look at the filter.

Fuel, the most likely culprit! Seems every time you pushed in the clutch there was a problem, I would be looking to see if there is any wiring rubbing on a clutch linkage or getting pinched somewhere.
Just my $.02, take it for what its worth, good luck.
Yes, the engine was definitely warm when the problem occurred. As to the clutch there shouldn't be anything in the area of the linkage but it's definitely worth a look. I feel like I need to look up the spec & check pressure to the IP. Plenty of fuel coming from the bleeder on the filter.

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pulled a fuel sample this morning & it's nice & clean. Also looked at the clutch linkage & it's clear of any lines, wires, ect. I still need to check the pressure to the IP. Hopefully I'll get some time to play w/it over the long weekend. I'm tempted to hit it with some starter fluid just to see if it will bust off but I'm hesitant to do so. They say it's a bad idea. Stay tuned.

Barrman

When the 6.2 IP is running out of fuel the engine actually speeds up at idle for 5-20 seconds in my experience. A 1028 has a single 20 gallon rectangular shaped tank with the pick up in the middle. 1/8 tank on the gauge is pretty much on “walk.” Slight up or down truck angle or constant acceleration or braking could uncover the fuel pickup long enough to get the IP dry and still fill the fuel filter again.

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When the 6.2 IP is running out of fuel the engine actually speeds up at idle for 5-20 seconds in my experience. A 1028 has a single 20 gallon rectangular shaped tank with the pick up in the middle. 1/8 tank on the gauge is pretty much on “walk.” Slight up or down truck angle or constant acceleration or braking could uncover the fuel pickup long enough to get the IP dry and still fill the fuel filter again.
Well that's interesting. It's pretty hilly in my area. Sounds like a real possibility. It would be awesome if all I gota do is bleed the IP instead of replacing it.

Barrman

My 6.2 powered M715 did that to me one day. I was low on fuel and it died when I was going down hill. The starter was enough to get it primed and running again on flat ground. The nearest fuel station was up hill though. I didn’t make it up the hill and the batteries couldn’t spin the engine enough to get it primed again. I had to get my son to pull me started while he dragged me to the fuel station.

It happens is my point.

nyoffroad

I missed the low on fuel part! Dump in a few gallons and bleed the system.
Also starting fluid ( or anything else like it) and glow plugs DO NOT MIX!!! The starting fluid will ignite as soon as it hits the hot glow plugs and considering it's being drawn into the cylinder with the air the intake valve is wide open. The resulting explosion (that's what it is) goes thru out the intake to all cylinders that have any vapor in them. At this point it either starts or locks up, if it locks it could bend a rod, crack a piston, flatten rod bearings or maybe nothing at all. Do you feel lucky?

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, Barrman nailed it! A little bit of bleeding & she's off & running. I really appreciate everyone that took the time to respond to this post. Yall saved me from spending a pile of money on an IP I didn't need.

Lessons learned.

Just cause there's fuel in the filter dosen't mean there's fuel in the IP.

1/2 tank is my new stop & fill up point.

SS is a priceless resource. This ain't the 1st time that's proven to be so. Yall are awesome.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks