• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 starter relay???

Darwin T

so yesterday in the pouring rain after work, i turned the key to start my truck and it would not turn over but the dash lights lit up. tried to jump it nothing. then it turned over with no boost. but before it started the starter ran away. i pulled the battery cable before it fried (i think). this morning i tried to put the battery back and it is still a runaway starter. pulled the under dash relay and tried to put the battery cable back and still a run away. is that the relay or the starter solenoid. if i put another relay in should i be able to stop the runaway and start it to drive it home to do a doghead mod? if not i may have to drive one of my deuces to work and drag it home with a tow bar.

by runaway i mean the starter is something is spinning (the starter i think) but not turning the engine over to start.

Last edited:

Darwin T

would it stay ingauged if the bolt was loose. i have the relay on my desk and if i try to put the battery cables back it is still a runaway starter with out the relay.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the starter cranks with the under-dash relay removed, you have a problem with your starter motor solenoid ( and or motor, or wiring).

The problem may have been induced by a bad under dash relay. Testing yours may answer the original cause.

Either way, I would replace the under-dash relay( Doghead Mod).

And, get your starter rebuilt.

One slim possibility is, your wires are touching together at the starter solenoid.

Darwin T

the starter does not crank it is stuck on. if i touch the battery wire to the battery it takes off like it was before i pulled the wire. the relay is on my desk and the keys are in my pocket. go figure.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kevin, Sounds like the solenoid is wasted. My 1028a2 has done this. It melted inside and made contact between the battery cable and the small terminal telling it to engage the starter. But not enough power is getting by to charge the coil strong enough to pull the bendix so the gear will engange the flywheel. It cost me $18 to replace it. I had to get one at a starter/alternator shop because it's 24V. Hit ben in port arthur up. Id bet he has a few laying around.

Darwin T

i had the print out with pictures to do the doghead mod in my hand. first i pulled the battery cable then came in and printed the information i had on my computer for months and went back out and pulled the relay. but with the relay on my desk and the keys in my pocket and it still ran when i put the battery wire back i was tinking it was the starter solenoid but i don't have much in the way of mechanic skills. so i thought i check to see what the doghead mod fixed. if it was not in the fence here at work i would have paid Ben to come change it (thats my mechanical $kill$).

Darwin T

well i replace the starter put in the old relay and fired him up. :D drove him home and now i can work on the Doghead mod as i get time. thanks for all the help. :beer: this morning i feel like like i have been beat up but i am much happy i am rolling again.

txmytx_catahoula

I feel your pain! Last time I messed with the starter, I had it up and down four times. That's why the reduction starter is a spare and not the direct drive, I just couldn't stand taking it off one more time! Glad to hear you're back on the road!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks