• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 top speed

junker46

I finally got my '28 titled and on the road. I let a friend dive it and was amazed that the top speed is about 50 MPH without over-revving the engine. I drove a '28A3 about 7 months ago and noticed it shifted -very quickly- and top speed again was about the same as my plane jane '28.

He want to know if it's governed or something else that limits it. I think its just geared that way. And, what could be done to bring-up the top end cheaplly (he's considering buying it).

Also, whats is a good license plate holder to use on one of these? I'd like to leave the pintle hook in place and put a holder on the tailgate, but FLA wants the plate to be in position as production model.

dstang97

55 top speed with the gears. put on some 37's and get 65 mph. or re-gear. I mounted my plate on my tailgate and have not been pulled over yet.

63B40

You might also look into a gear vendor overdrive. They have adaptors fot the NP205 and 208 t cases and you would still be able to keep the 4.56 ratio you have now. They are pretty much bullet proof and can be had for around $1000-1500 used.

junker46

You might also look into a gear vendor overdrive. They have adaptors fot the NP205 and 208 t cases and you would still be able to keep the 4.56 ratio you have now. They are pretty much bullet proof and can be had for around $1000-1500 used.
I have thought of that. Any idea what part numbers?

junker46

You could also swap out trans with an overdrive unit.
I've thought of that but wonder what all the requirements would be: donor vehicle etc. Anyone ever done it?

I also wonder what the cost difference would be between the two (700R4 or GV overdrive) or justifiable try to add an OD. Then like someone mentioned a lift and taller tires.

I do like the low geared aspect of the truck. One of the aspects is a bug-out truck or a hurricane assistance/get-around vehicle.

91W350

I think your 50mph assessment is pretty close. 60 is leaning on it pretty hard. If you are like a lot of guys and consider the 6.2 a throw away engine, 60 is no problem until you cannot keep bearings in it. They have a nasty history of beating the webbing out of the block...then spinning main bearings or breaking cranks. GM improved the block for the 6.5 but it did not work either. Slowing down or cutting rpm is good advic, if you are concerned about engine life or having something to rebuild.

2deuce

As we all know some guys treat all engines as throw away. The 6.2 is a very good engine if you use it as designed. It will last longer than any gas engine but running it at high revs gives it a short life and bad economy.

91W350

That is very true, the 6.2 is easy prey as it is governed way too high. I understand why they set the rpm high, it is just unfortunate that they did. The engine gets an undeserved bad rap. Lots of them made it over 300 thousand in half ton 2 wheel drive with over drive vehicles. Very few made it to 100 thousand in low geared applications. My buddy that runs the major engine shop in this area calls them junk bas***ds that always have a broken block, crank or both. They were developed as an economy engine before the diesel power craze took off. I always liked them, I wish they had a better injection pump, but we live with what we got. Glen

junkcurator

i got pulled over for that my window is slightly tinted and it was at dusk in jasper Indiana. younger officer didn't get wrote up but was told that i have to have a plate light. i asked him where to put the plate he told me "where it belongs" then asked him how that will work with the original equipment penile hitch. explained that the truck was m1028 military ext. he told me to figure something out and have a good evening on the top speed mine likes 60-65 have had it to 80. it has specially tires of America 9x16 on it get around 20 mpg

Keith_J

Another hard dying myth. 3300 RPM is not hard on these engines, 27 year old harmonic dampers ARE. The rubber ring in the damper turns to stone, negating all harmonic damping characteristics. That is what kills these engines.

Jozseph

Another hard dying myth. 3300 RPM is not hard on these engines, 27 year old harmonic dampers ARE. The rubber ring in the damper turns to stone, negating all harmonic damping characteristics. That is what kills these engines.
elastomer-signs-of-wear.jpg
[SUB]Photo is from fluidampr web site[/SUB]

FWIW........

Consider installing a Fluidampr if you intend to keep the vehicle a long time

Review the following article's;

"How It Works: Viscous Dampers, A.K.A. Harmonic Balancers"

http://www.dieselarmy.com/engine-tech/engine/how-it-works-viscous-dampers-a-k-a-harmonic-balancers

And;

"When To Upgrade Your Harmonic Damper In Performance Diesel Applications"

http://www.fluidampr.com/news/when-...amper-in-performance-diesel-applications-119/

Regards

Joseph

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks