• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 tow a deuce?

Corvette1974

Wow that is pretty considerable. That is a lot of weight (I work on a hay farm so Ive seen some towing rigs lol).

Im pretty sure, dont quote me, but the tow rating is like 3000 pounds or something. I dont know, All I know is that Ive towed much more no problem.

Will

Whitfield

This looks like a sensitive question...

For me ~ I expect my M1008 to be able to safely tow my 1997 GMC Yukon (5,500#) on my 10K Hurst equipment trailer ~ w/electric brakes on both axles.

Last edited:

Corvette1974

I expect my M1008 to be able to safely tow my 1997 GMC Yukon (5,500#) on my 10K Hurst equipment trailer ~ w/electric brakes on both axles.

Yeah it definitely could. I need to add a trans cooler (im doing this next weekend) for real towing though. You might want to look into that if you havent already. The trans "cooler" isnt very good stock.

Will

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the tow rating of a "G" vin code M1008 ~ Tong weight and total recommended trailer weight?

I've got a friend that regularly tows 12-14 large round hay bails behind his K-20.

Also I know some states require an in vehicle brake controller for flat towed vehicles but I have no experience with them.
-10 TM says "Equipped to tow M101 Series 3/4 ton trailers with maximum towed load of 3100 Ibs. Load on tongue should not exceed 300 Ibs."

Corvette1974

-10 TM says "Equipped to tow M101 Series 3/4 ton trailers with maximum towed load of 3100 Ibs. Load on tongue should not exceed 300 Ibs."

Yep thanks! There you go....I knew it was relatively low for what it is. I have only used the pintle on mine for a commerical log splitter. I used a tow strap to my d rings on the bumper to tow the truck and a jeep.

Will

Whitfield

Wow that is pretty considerable. That is a lot of weight (I work on a hay farm so Ive seen some towing rigs lol).

Im pretty sure, dont quote me, but the tow rating is like 3000 pounds or something. I dont know, All I know is that Ive towed much more no problem.

Will
While nowhere near a duce....

Here is my trailer behind a friends K-20 (today) with 2 in the bed for 13. These were just cut 1 week ago and were wetter (Heavier) then the usual. On sale for $20 each due to lack of dry storage. Luckily I was not around for this one. And he just bought a 2-ton Flatbed to put into hay service next month.

Then below is the K-20 2-weeks ago bringing home My M1008. The extra weight finally made the K-20 feel / ride normal. With electric brakes on both trailer axles stopping was much better then I expected.

Have yet to tow anything with the 08, but it feels like a hoss. Looking for a good solid class 3 set up with out eliminating the pintel hitch.

Still loving pic #3.

13 round bails.jpg1025121252.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Corvette1974

Wow that amount of hay is impressive! Those suckers are pure weight....

Those pictures are great, I like seeing Chevy at work.

I'd like to do a civilian trailer controller and hitch too, because right now, I'm limited in my trailering options.

I gotta say, I've flat towed a Chevy C30, and my friends Jeep, and neither time did my '28 feel stressed or have a difficult time, even up hills. I have yet to tow a trailer with a load though. I have had almost 2 tons of pavers in the bed, and the suspension didnt even compress in any noticable manner. So its definitely a stout vehicle.

Will

biggestc69

Nice lookin K20! And I've bucked/loaded/pulled more than my fair share of hay back in the day and when that stuff gets wet its no joke. Thank God for trailer breaks!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's got to be better towing it with a 1028 than my Dodge 1500 1/2 ton. I'm saying I'd want to do it again but it was an emergency. Deuce and 3000lbs of M105 and tools/supplies.

I guarantee you won't be turning with it off-road though. When we got my truck home the Deuce went everywhere it wanted to regardless of what the Dodge (and me) wanted.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks