• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 wiring for shelter?

Tanaga

I recently bought my first CUCV, a 1984 M1028 and noticed a large gray flexible electrical conduit running down the frame rail on the passenger side and ends where the spare tire bolts up under the bed. There are some large gauge wires in the conduit and the end is taped up. Can any one tell me if this is factory wiring or was it something the state forestry department put on the truck to power some equipment? If it's factory, I will probably leave it, if it's not I want to remove it.

cucvrus

Not Factory that I have ever seen that far back. I had one that had a slave receptacle in the rear bumper at the right side of the pintle hook. Where do the wires run to up front on yours? These of course on my truck were hooked to the buss bar. Just wanted to share that.

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Factory power cable for M1008 or M1028 radio rack in the cargo bed, you should have factory holes in the front half of the cargo bed and a power plug hole in the pass side interior of the bed side, the holes in the floor have captive nuts for bolting the rack to the bed floor, I believe these trucks have a A1 designation, if anyone has one of these cables complete I would be interested,

Tanaga

In the engine compartment the conduit ends by the passenger side exhaust manifold and then a large gauge battery sized wire comes out and goes to the positive bus bar. image.jpg

Its kinda hard hard to see but look for the blue and orange band. That's right where the wire comes out of the conduit and goes to the positive bar. The other end is cutoff and taped behind the Pindle hitch. My bed has holes drilled in it all over. So since this goes to the back of the bed instead of the front does make mean it's not CUCV factory?

image.jpg

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
cucvrus, I'll take the cable, now for the cable going to the rear of the truck , I find that odd, do you have cable loops bolted to the frame on the pass side under the cab? can you also post photos of all the holes in the bed?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The holes in the bed up above the end of the cable are for sure forestry. I would guess this cable powered the starter motor on a skid unit.