• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028

Zenk

Well... I don't post much on here, but I sure do read a lot of your posts. This site has been extremely valuable in the restoration of my 1987 M1028, so thanks to everyone that contributes to this great site.

This has been my every weekend project for the last 9 months. Truck fought me the entire way... finally getting it to where I can start to show it off.

Here are a few of the details that were done during the restoration/modification:
Started off with all the serviceable items like fluids/belts/glow plugs etc.
Then soda blasted the entire truck. Ended up replacing both fenders, passenger door, and tail gate.
Roof was caved in, took a ton of work to get it straight.
Paint is Gillespie 383 CARC substitute inside and out.

Lift specs: "all from ORD"
4" front leafs
1" front zero rate
4" rear blocks (did this to keep the overload spring pack)
SX8000 shocks and stabilizer
Drop pitman arm
Quick disconnect sway bar links
Greasable HD shackles
Extended braided brake lines
Steering box brace

Other details:
Recentered H1 TWF wheels (4.5 back space) with PVC bead lock insert, flat black powder coated
37" x12.5x16.5 Goodyear MT radial tires (90% tread)
3" dual exhaust with flowmasters
Doghead starter relay mod
12volt glow plug mod (removed resister)
24volt solargizer
Heavy duty headlight harness from LMC
Tinted glass (sliding rear window)
1988 Chevy steering wheel
Full floor covering, dash carpet.
etc.
etc.
etc.

Below are some before and after pictures, and here is a video my wife took this weekend. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPWi_mBzrNY

Attachments

Last edited:

Zenk

I forgot to mention... this truck only has 20k miles. I believe it sat for over 10 years, I bet I could have filled half a 50 gallon drum with the rats nests I pulled out of this truck.
IMG_1454.jpg20140721_192944.jpg20140721_201714.jpg20140721_201741.jpg

Beretta92fs

Can anyone inform me on the pull strap. On the front of your M1028 there is a strap between the two tie down shackles. I have seen this a couple times now. Was the the intended purpose for the strap and where can I find one?

SForce

Awesome looking truck! The end result is a testament to your hard work, quality of work, and dedication. By the way, how did you fix the roof? Did you replace the roof panel?

Zenk

Awesome looking truck! The end result is a testament to your hard work, quality of work, and dedication. By the way, how did you fix the roof? Did you replace the roof panel?
Thanks SForce.
Used a stud welder dent puller and a acetylene torch and a wet sponge (heat and shrink). Then filled the space in between the outer roof and head liner with expanding foam to keep everything in place. Filler is pretty thin... roof isn't perfect, but good enough on a lifted truck where no one can see it.

Zenk

Can anyone inform me on the pull strap. On the front of your M1028 there is a strap between the two tie down shackles. I have seen this a couple times now. Was the the intended purpose for the strap and where can I find one?
I did get the pull strap off eBay as mentioned. Here is a picture from the eBay auction (not my truck) that show it's use.
pullstrap.jpg

Zenk

Looks awesome!!!
Thanks Andy...

The H1 wheels you made are really the ticket for these trucks. Keeps it looking military and not like a civilian truck. Your product is top notch!

And for those of you that are wondering... the 4.5" backspace works great on the CUCVs. No rubbing what so ever and keeps the wheel and tire combo tucked in nicely.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks