• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028A1

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New here. Great site, have had many trucks over the years, just picked up something new for me, an M1028A1, only 6K, from Kuwait, bought at a GL sale in Chambersburg. Love to know what all was in the body in the back. Looks like there's something left of a Wisconsin 4 cylinder generator set, an air tank. The body on this thing is almost perfect. Except for the cracked W/S, missing fuel tank, missing pass door glass and mechanics, its pretty complete. Thought I would share, after looking through this site, it seems a little rare. This truck, according to the glove box, started as a true cab/chassis.has the NP205, dana 60 front axle, etc.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What you have there is an M1028A1 with a contact maintenace tool set off of a Dodge M887. The regular M1031 contact maintenance truck had a little different body with the PTO driven welder generator. Looks interesting. You will have to trim the front tool box floor to clear the fuel tanks inless someone has already done that. Fun!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great. Good work truck. 6K miles is VERY low, must not have had much use in service. Means the engine is probably PRIMO condition!

But really, you gotta paint them rims.

Welcome to SS!

ONTOS66

Great looking truck - except for the rims. :)

Fill it with tools and you can follow everyone else around and put the parts on when they fall off. Not that it would actually happen to any of OUR trucks.

aua

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drive shaft is bent on this, I see the one in my K20 is smaller and liter. Will any civilian K30 4x4 driveshaft be the same, gas or diesel? Fuel tank is missing also. Gas truck tank seems the same, is it? Also, most of the dashes are chewed up or gutted on the CUCVs at the GL auctions, what were they scavenging, Any particular reason? thanks

AJMBLAZER

I THINK the driveshafts are different as civilian trucks never got the NP208 behind a TH400...I think...someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

You might ask around though, seems like someone always has a CUCV parts truck. Check Ebay as well.

The gas tank is a standard GM gas tank. If you buy new look into one of the poly ones. Never rust and hard to dent with a skidplate.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: M1028A1

GM72K10 said:
Drive shaft is bent on this, I see the one in my K20 is smaller and liter. Will any civilian K30 4x4 driveshaft be the same, gas or diesel? Fuel tank is missing also. Gas truck tank seems the same, is it? Also, most of the dashes are chewed up or gutted on the CUCVs at the GL auctions, what were they scavenging, Any particular reason? thanks
That is a Dodge CM body, as Kenny pointed out. Does it have an M1028A1 conversion plate on the door jamb under the Mfr plate? If not, then the truck is probably a straight M1031. What does the Shipping and Dimension data plate on the door say?

The driveshaft from a regular cab civilian K30 will work fine, since this truck has the slip-yoke NP205, just as civilian trucks did. You might as well have one made. It will probably be easier and quicker than trying to find a civvy one.

Gas truck tanks were usually 16 gallon. A 20-gallon diesel truck tank can be had on ebay for $89.99 shipped.

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: M1028A1

thanks for the info guys. Yes it does have a conversion plate on the door jamb under the mfg's plate dated 7/92. If it started as a M1031, then can dual wheels go back on this w/o modification? I really would like to make this into a dump truck as the body on the back is really beat up. the DASH wiring is all chopped up also. Since it needs baterries anyway, How difficult to convert to 12V? Change dash,engine wiring harnesses and starter? thanks for the info.

Attachments

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: M1028A1

GM72K10 said:
thanks for the info guys. Yes it does have a conversion plate on the door jamb under the mfg's plate dated 7/92. If it started as a M1031, then can dual wheels go back on this w/o modification? I really would like to make this into a dump truck as the body on the back is really beat up. the DASH wiring is all chopped up also. Since it needs baterries anyway, How difficult to convert to 12V? Change dash,engine wiring harnesses and starter? thanks for the info.
From my knowledge, all M1028A1's started as M1031's and were fitted with beds as your (and my) MWO plates indicate. Dual rear wheels can be fitted, but the rear axle is different on the duallies. The truck in my avatar is my old M1028A3. Those and the M1028A2 trucks have the Dana 70HD rear axle with lockers.

I believe there is a technical article on 12V conversion on this site.

BTW, Does your door plate say M1028A1 or M1031? My truck had a door from an M1009 when I got it, so it had the M1009 plate. I suspect the MWO included it, but I have not yet seen a truck in person with the plate. Can you post a pic if it has this plate? Thanks!

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No welder, doors mostly bent up and don't close right, most lights removed, Wisconsin engine/generator were all that's left and not complete. Already pulled that out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks