• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028A2 dually paint job

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used the Behr paint - house paint - with the codes I got here

Took me a couple of weeks, because I work slowly - I used a 6" x 1/2" close cell foam roller to apply it

I like the way it came out

this is a test for me to see how well it holds up and how I like it and the comments I receive

Our club will be attending several events in the next few weeks and it will be interesting the conversations I will have about this vehicle's paint job

after the paint job was finished, I replaced all the plastic lenses with new parts from LMC TRUCKS - I was particularly pleased that they had the lenses for the side rear fenders - I bought them, not sure if they would fit because LMC catalog said it was for the step side and did not mention a dually application - it FIT PERFECTLY

View attachment 363997 View attachment 363998

View attachment 363999 View attachment 364000

View attachment 364001 View attachment 364002

View attachment 364003 View attachment 364004

View attachment 364005 View attachment 364006

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good.

I have a couple of trucks to paint and trying to decide if I will use the Rapco paint I have or use the Behr.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Warthog,

We will be at the Alliance Air Show next weekend. Drop down and take a first hand look. We will be on the north end of the ramp, across the eastern runway from the Thunderbirds and the Snowbirds. I'll have the dually there.

The BEHR paint (I used one gallon) cost me $25. I believe Rapco is $125 per gallon?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rapco is ~$30/gal plus hazmat, plus shipping. I drove down last year and picked up about 20 gal as a group buy. No fees

I have 4 gal in my garage.

nattieleather

The BEHR paint (I used one gallon) cost me $25. I believe Rapco is $125 per gallon?
From Rapco's website "Single Gallon of Paint is $35.00 + $23.00 HazMat +$2.00 Extra Shipping (total) $60.00

Don't know how far Bowie is from you, but if you picked it up the cost is just $35.00. It's the shipping that gets you.

@OP. Your truck looks good! A roller huh? I bet it looks authentic GI (and that is a complement not a slam)

Joe

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually I didn't know Rapco was that cheap. Bowie isn't around the corner, but definitely not a days drive. Call it an hour or perhaps a shade further from me.

But the Home Depot was 'around the corner' (sorta) and this IS an experiment. The roller worked great. I call it a three foot paint job. I did not have any drips or runs, but I was careful and SLOW.

It's funny though, by just painting over what was there, it already had a few runs on the paint job that are still there. PLUS I have some runs on the inside from the last time the military painted it.

Thanks for the kudos. I'll update this thread with pix over the next year, documenting EXACTLY how well or poorly the paint holds up. We will see.

Last edited:

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Between you and Phil, Stonepicker you both have the most baddazz 1028 dullys on the site.

I aspire to drive your truck. Thanks for posting the pictures..!:)

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike,

You will get a chance on Saturday to look at it closely. I am very surprised/pleased at how it turned out.

The president of the MVCC that I was a member of in Colorado painted his C306 Volvo comm van with a 1/2" roller and it looked KILLER. He used Rapco.

I just thought I would try BEHR - I will post to this thread over the coming year.

See you on Saturday at Murphy Maize Days with the MKT in tow.

combatmech

Wow, that looks great Jim Didn't Glenn paint his Deuce with the same stuff? I plan on re-painting the pickup after I get back. Not sure what route I wanna take....Rapco price isn't too bad and I like the finish of their 383 green. I'll give your truck a good looking over once we get home. [thumbzup]

CPAPPY

First off I want to say the truck looks real nice. I have noticed alot of members are painting there trucks with latex paint, I would be very concerned using latex paints because it tends to peel off after some time . And if you us a pressure washer to clean it be very careful because you can cut right thru it. I know it is a cheap way to make it look real nice , but the bad part is if you want to go back to carc or any automotive paint you will have to strip the latex completely off I had to do this before and its not fun. But I will have to say it does look nice .

M1A96819

Photos

Great job there wallew!!,

If possible......can you take photos of your M1028A2 real axles and or front and rear hubs. I am itching to do a M1008 Dually conversion using the other recommended methods/route here in out great forum.

Mahalo's in Advance,

M1A96819

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great job there wallew!!,

If possible......can you take photos of your M1028A2 real axles and or front and rear hubs. I am itching to do a M1008 Dually conversion using the other recommended methods/route here in out great forum.

Mahalo's in Advance,

M1A96819

I'll be happy to. Please let me wait until it stops raining. As soon as it stops, I'll take pix, front and rear axles, including front hubs.

As soon as it stops, I'll post pix.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks