• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1030M1 HDT Diesel new purchase

TexBJ77

Hello guys, just picked up a M1030M1. Found it in Michigan through a friend of a friend and brought home to Texas. It has 388 miles and is in pretty decent condition. I put a new battery in and it started right up, same thing next day but on the third day it would not turn over. What is the correct CCA battery requirement? I have drained the fuel tank, checked fuel filter, petcock etc. Any other recommendations? I’m wanting to get it running again and sell it so I can move on to something bigger. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations on your new diesel MC. The correct battery for the M1030M1 is an Odyssey PC625. Do you have a copy of the small portion of the Owners Manual that is available? I attached a copy in case you don't. Whatever you do, don't try to start the engine using the compression release as you will cause damage if you do. Are you making certain that the glow plug is heated before cranking? The PC625 battery needs to be in good condition as it takes a lot to turn that diesel engine over, especially once the weather turns cold. Mine starts very easily, even in cold weather. I always keep a NOCO charger hooked up to mine to keep the battery at 100%.

Attachments

TexBJ77

Congratulations on your new diesel MC. The correct battery for the M1030M1 is an Odyssey PC625. Do you have a copy of the small portion of the Owners Manual that is available? I attached a copy in case you don't. Whatever you do, don't try to start the engine using the compression release as you will cause damage if you do. Are you making certain that the glow plug is heated before cranking? The PC625 battery needs to be in good condition as it takes a lot to turn that diesel engine over, especially once the weather turns cold. Mine starts very easily, even in cold weather. I always keep a NOCO charger hooked up to mine to keep the battery at 100%.
Thank you for the info glcaines. I did find the owners manual you provided. I have never used the compression release and I always wait for the glow plug to heat (flashing red light) before cranking. I really think my problem is battery related. Is the PC625 still available or will I be looking for a surplus battery? Can I assume the PC625 has 625CCA? If that’s the case I am way low with the 225CCA battery I just installed. Will try again when I get back from Ogden. Any other tips?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Odyssey PC625 has 330 Amps for cranking and 220 Amps CCA. This is not a military battery. This is the battery that HDT chose to use in the M1030M1 motorcycles and is also the battery that the USMC used. My M1030M1 had a PC625 battery installed when it came from the USMC. It was completely dead, but I was able to resurrect the battery by using my NOCO charger for repair after about 3 days. It lasted another year or so, when I replaced it with a new Odyssey PC625 battery from Autozone. My current Odyssey PC625 battery is almost 4 years old and is still going strong. I believe Autozone sells them now for ~$180.00, not sure. My Autozone had to order the battery, but it only took about 3 days to get it. On my M1030M1, when the glow plug light is flashing, the glow plug is heating up. I wait until the glow plug light quits flashing and goes out and that's when I start the engine. Another note is that you need to make certain that you are using diesel fuel lubricant in your fuel. The HDT diesel engine was not designed to use ultra-low sulfur fuel. The sulfur acts as a lubricant. The best additive to use is Opti-Lube XPD.

TexBJ77

The Odyssey PC625 has 330 Amps for cranking and 220 Amps CCA. This is not a military battery. This is the battery that HDT chose to use in the M1030M1 motorcycles and is also the battery that the USMC used. My M1030M1 had a PC625 battery installed when it came from the USMC. It was completely dead, but I was able to resurrect the battery by using my NOCO charger for repair after about 3 days. It lasted another year or so, when I replaced it with a new Odyssey PC625 battery from Autozone. My current Odyssey PC625 battery is almost 4 years old and is still going strong. I believe Autozone sells them now for ~$180.00, not sure. My Autozone had to order the battery, but it only took about 3 days to get it. On my M1030M1, when the glow plug light is flashing, the glow plug is heating up. I wait until the glow plug light quits flashing and goes out and that's when I start the engine. Another note is that you need to make certain that you are using diesel fuel lubricant in your fuel. The HDT diesel engine was not designed to use ultra-low sulfur fuel. The sulfur acts as a lubricant. The best additive to use is Opti-Lube XPD.
Thanks again for the info. I will wait for the glow plug light to quit flashing next time I try starting. Also will go find the PC625 at autozone. As for the additive I did get the opti-lube because I read about the ultra-low sulfur issue on Steel Soldiers!! Will report back once I get the PC625 battery.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One note about the PC625 battery. Fred Hayes, who ran HDT, gave instructions to trim off some of the cooling fins on the side of the PC625 battery to allow fitment of the side cover. However, there is a spacer that holds the side cover away from the battery. I purchased a new nylon spacer from the local hardware that was slightly longer, perhaps 1/2 inch longer, and that permits fitting the side cover without trimming any cooling fins from the battery. You can't tell the difference visually with the longer spacer. I have no idea why HDT didn't use a longer spacer. I suspect the act of trimming those fins would terminate the warranty on the battery. My M1030M1 starts virtually instantly, the engine not turning over more than once or twice at most. If it doesn't start that easily there is something else wrong and there is no reason to keep trying to start the engine as all it does is puts wear and tear on the starter and runs the battery down.

Last edited:

M1KLR

A few things can happen here. First thing I would check is this area, make sure you didn't blow your springs within the advance unit. DO NOT touch the weights or springs. just make sure its all intact when take off the plate.
If that's all good, then you possibly blew the fuse or the starter relay. I've gone through a few relays myself on a few of these M1's.
By starting the bike, you are running a lot of amps through the stock relay. You need to let it cool for a min or two before starting again if it heats up. At times it will smoke a little, but can be picked up for $12-18. Hope this helps and welcome to the club temporary.
Also I would check the oil screen for metal shavings.

Attachments

TexBJ77

A few things can happen here. First thing I would check is this area, make sure you didn't blow your springs within the advance unit. DO NOT touch the weights or springs. just make sure its all intact when take off the plate.
If that's all good, then you possibly blew the fuse or the starter relay. I've gone through a few relays myself on a few of these M1's.
By starting the bike, you are running a lot of amps through the stock relay. You need to let it cool for a min or two before starting again if it heats up. At times it will smoke a little, but can be picked up for $12-18. Hope this helps and welcome to the club temporary.
Also I would check the oil screen for metal shavings.
M1KLR, can you please point me to the fuse you spoke about and/or the starter relay?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks