• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 Build

dkdiesel

We rebuild light duty cylinder heads in house. As long as the crack isn’t into the deck surface we machine the crack out when counterboring for oversized hardened seats, no welding necessary. 6.2 and 6.5 headgasket failures are not exactly common unless they are abused or subjected to cylinder pressures beyond what the engineers designed them for (ie a turbo or two on a 6.2). Both the 6.2 and 6.5 are very reliable platforms if LEFT ALONE. If you want to make more HP in either engine then as the old saying goes… you pay to play. In my experience which includes many years of increasing the horspower on light duty diesels, why play with an inferior engine design like the 6.2 or 6.5 as it will never make the hp reliably that a Cummins, duramax or even a 7.3 power stroke will. Keith, I think it’s great that you are going to attempt to put twin turbos on your 6.2. I’m all about innovation and experimenting with new ideas. The problem is with the 6.2 and 6.5 many people and companies have “been there done that”. Sometimes it’s best to realize that you can’t polish a turd and accept what you have before you spend a bunch of time of money on an engine that will most likely disappoint you in the end.

Keith_J

Light turbo charging is within the reliability curve for the 6.2, this is the design intent of the Banks Sidewinder and ATS systems. Both of these companies are still around, the main reason for deprecation of their offerings is age.

The system I am designing is based on the operating parameters of the Banks system, using modern systems and controls to limit boost to 10 PSI gauge. Most importantly, I don't want any exhaust smoke.

If I had a 1009, towed nothing and had no plans to go above 5000 feet above sea level, I would keep the engine stock. But I have an 8500 pound beast with the aerodynamics of a brick. So I need a bit more than 155 horsepower at the flexplate.

Ive driven a light turbocharged diesel and done so with a ruptured boost hose. The computer control sensed the loss of boost and cut fueling back. It had all the motivation of my 1031. That is what spurred my motivation.

chevymike

Is Gen VI TBI or MPI?
Originally it was MPI but I only got the long block, not the full EFI setup. I am going to do an aftermarket TBI setup, that uses factory type TBI parts. This way I can easily get parts on the road, if needed. I can also carry some spare sensors and the nice thing is, they are all really simple to replace in the field. I'll give up a little power and mileage but for simplicity it's worth it for me.

Skinny

Originally it was MPI but I only got the long block, not the full EFI setup. I am going to do an aftermarket TBI setup, that uses factory type TBI parts. This way I can easily get parts on the road, if needed. I can also carry some spare sensors and the nice thing is, they are all really simple to replace in the field. I'll give up a little power and mileage but for simplicity it's worth it for me.
Howell?

Probably could just buy a reman 454 TBI unit, get the sensors from a junkyard and buy the right prom chip for it on eBay.

Skinny

Nope, Howell too much $$$ for what you get. Performance Fuel Injection. Very complete system for just over $1000.

Knowing you can build that for maybe half in used parts and a lot of time, that's a lot for the money where you literally drop it in, set the timing, and drive.

I went with Howell on my 8.1 and I thought the harness was very well out together, they built it exactly to the spec I ordered, and it was like $650 at the time which I thought was pretty decent pricing.

So the engine tune runs great. I had a reoccurring trans code which they blamed on my trans. I literally replaced everything in the circuit and still had a problem. Long story short I ended up with an HP Tuner to modify the tune myself. I hate being at the mercy of others. Not necessary but necessary.

So back to what you are doing. My buddy was going with one of those systems for his Land Rover 3.5 V8. For not much more money he went with a Holley Sniper. It all went well but man is the tuning and set up way more complex. I'm doing a TBI 5.7 swap in my S10 right now and boy I really like TBI. Its just simple, cheap, and it works. Maybe not great past 250 horsepower but there is nothing to it.

Plus you can buy used duplicate parts for probably $200 for an entire system. Literally carry a spare EFI system in a shoebox.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks